1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry Level Pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, May 26, 2007.

1. I was reading a thread where a paper in Arkansas was being raked over the coals for offering $15K-20K for an entry level sports writer's position and wondered what the job should pay to make most of those on here happy.

So I guess my question is what would be considered fair pay for entry level journalists these days?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A living wage. $20K in that community might make it. With $15K a person doesn't stand a chance in hell of surviving.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If the job requires a college degree, it better pay enough to pay for rent, groceries, a shitty car and student loans.

I'm having trouble seeing 15K making that happen.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I know for a fact that it won't in that area. Hell, $20K won't in most areas without a second income or roommates.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Isn't 15K right at the poverty line?

Anything above 25K would might be considered fair at a paper under 40,000. I work at a 31,000 paper and all entry-level hires will now get 30K -- it's something our EE has pushed for since he took over a few years ago.

6. I'm having trouble seeing 15K making my coffee in the morning at the convenience store ...

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

$30K? Damn.

8. I ditto dat damn.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Christ, I made $17K Cdn when I first started out. It should be a crime to pay that now.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I worked at a paper less than an hour away from the Arkansas paper he is talking about. They tried offering me $10/hour but I told them that was not acceptable for a living wage in that community without having a second job and if they wanted me to cover the crime beat correctly, a second job was not going to work. They upped the offer. Papers in that area are pretty bad about low balling.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

That's what he told me. Can't confirm that it's true, but my paper does pay pretty well -- especially considering how cheap it is to live here.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Minimum of 25K. Nobody who spends four years in college should make less at a job in their degree field.

Draft saved Draft deleted