1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry-level job, Brenham, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brenham Banner, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Brenham Banner

Brenham Banner New Member

The Brenham Banner-Press, a 6,500-circulation, six-day-per-week afternoon paper located an hour northwest of Houston, is looking for a full-time sports reporter/news reporter. About 90 percent of the job responsibilities pertain to sports, helping us to cover the three high schools and junior college in our coverage area. The selected candidate will write a mix of game coverage and feature stories and will cover Blinn football, the second-ranked juco team in the nation and home to some of the state's top Division I recruits. Paid vacation, major health benefits and profit-sharing programs are available. Great opportunity for recent college grads. For more information or to submit a resume with clips, contact publisher Michael Mueck at mmueck@brenhambanner.com, managing editor Arthur Hahn at arthur@brenhambanner.com or sports editor Richard Bray at sports@brenhambanner.com.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Uh-oh, it's the dreaded "entry-level" title. Take it easy guys.

Blinn is where Cam Newton had a stopover if I recall correctly. Brenham is the home of Blue Bell ice cream. It's right down the road from College Station and very close to Prairie View if you are a SWAC fan. Having said that, I know very little about the paper.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

it's a pretty nice area. Just far enough from Houston to be in the country but close enough to be semi-suburbs.

4. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

A great chance to cover one of my favorite prep coaches of all time in Glen West. The Banner Press is also the former stomping grounds of the legendary Mike Bazemore, way, way back in the day.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's JUCO, but Blinn consistently puts out some of the best sports teams. National championships in football and volleyball within the last five years, solid in baseball and softball. Basketballs are competitive, if nothing else.
    Brenham High has one of the best baseball histories in the state.
    It's a job that can keep you busy covering good sports.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be an opening for a cow milker.

7. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Sounds like a good job. I just may apply

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think they'll wait four years until you graduate.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

They pay in Blue Bell ice cream samples.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's not a bad thing.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

All in all that's probably a better benefit than CNHI not matching 401K contributions....latest I've hear from my slave friends. And people say slavery has been outlawed in Alabama.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I believe, this is the first time I have seen an entry level reporting job with ownership potential.

Draft saved Draft deleted