1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entourage season 5 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Sep 7, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree with the points about Ari's honesty. You could see that scene was building throughout the entire episode.

The conflict between Ari and E comes down to how they see Vince. E sees Vince, his friend, as a great actor and ends up hunting down roles where he can stretch his chops. Queens Blvd., Medellin and now the new script. That's in contrast to Ari, who views Vince as a bankable star getting remarkably bad career advice. Sooner or later, Ari's and E's relationship is going to come to a head. That should make for some good TV.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of it quite like that. While I totally agree, I'm not sure they need to come to blows over it. E seems to get that Vince can't do the firefighter movie.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he sang at the game as well.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think E and Ari come to blows. Instead, they have a blowout argument over the mistakes both have made with Vince.

Also, look at what E did last night. After Ari passed on it, E went to Amanda with the script, telling he admired her work ethic. Why would E do that unless he's planning a backdoor play on Ari?

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Great episode and I thought it was much better than the first. Clearly, the main plot of this season is trying to make Vince a bankable movie star again. But the interesting thing is Vinnie looks like he's ready to make a serious go at it too, which is certainly refreshing after seasons of carefree living. I really liked the strong conversation with Ari.

Funny shit involving Drama and Turtle was hilarious as well, especially towards the end. Those two characters always deliver the laughs, along with Ari. Having Llyod pull the plug on the projecter was awesome.

6. And then Ari stands up screaming about it. Totally in character for him and he knew it. Made me laugh out loud.

Also loved, "You're gorgeous, but - and don't take this the wrong way - I'd still never ditch Vince for you."

Nice little reminder that Turtle is more than just a mooch.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm kind of disappointed that the writers really haven't done much with the Turtle character. Two seasons ago, he sold a Saigon rap for the Queens Blvd movie and seemed to be primed to be something more than a fat, pot-smoking, video game playing flunkie.

8. Well, Doug Ellin says they want to go eight seasons with this. I'm wondering if maybe he's holding back just so they don't run out of material? If Turtle goes straight too early, it could be a jump-the-shark moment for the show.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

But it's true to Turtle's character. The guy's never been ambitious. Eric has never been content to be a hanger-on, so it makes sense that he keeps trying to make his move. If they all became Hollywood successes, it wouldn't reflect reality. Turtle is the designated fuckup. I think we all hope Turtle ends up happy but I'm not sure becoming a business success is in the cards for him.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I humbly disagree. Turtle showed some ambition when trying to Saigon to sign a deal with a record company. After Saigon left Turtle, it's like the writers said, "We'll make him Ari's driver who makes wisecracks."

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He has shown some ambition, but most of it was just money-making schemes to keep himself busy. I thought they were going to go somewhere with Turtle dating Rufus's daughter. It'd be interesting to see him in a relationship, but I don't want too many changes for the wise-cracking, pot-smoking slacker. Plus, I love that Turtle/Drama combination.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I just watched the first two episodes. Talk about a series that has jumped the shark. Just awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted