1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entourage 4/8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sharky22, Apr 8, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Proof that the writing might not have slipped as much as some people think.

Personally, I got a laugh out of Ari's line about Edith Wharton, though that is only because I remember reading "The House of Mirth" for a class and hating every minute of it.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Me, too, oop.

I didn't hate Wharton, but Ari's description was classic.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carla Gugino is a top fiver... I know she's pushing 40, but she just gets hotter and hotter...

The episode was what it was supposed to be... A tease...

4. Tremendous ... Amanda and Ari going at it will be classic. Unfortunately, since I know someone at HBO, I have an inside scoop on what movie Vince ends up doing ...

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I laugh almost anytime Drama speaks.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Yup, thank God for Ari.

As I mentioned, it takes a good actor to make thoroughly average material shine.
    Just seeing his face to start a scene, you already know something's gonna happen.

But even he seemed to be trying a little too hard last night, like he knew he had a selling job to do.

It reminded me of the last few seasons of Sex and the City, when the writing was crap and the four talented actresses started delivering their lines with a sledgehammer, twice as loud as before, like they knew it was predictable garbage.

This one's not close to that yet. But it's like a rock band having 10 years to put together their first album and six months to come up with a follow-up. If the premiere's so-so, doesn't harken well for the rest of the season.

The "bitch" line was good, but there was nothing Carla Gugino's character said in the entire episode prior to that that made me think she had that in her. She had taken the relative high road and used good vocabulary. That's poor writing.

They need to get Ari back with the posse, right quick. Because who gives a damn about them, really, if they're not interacting with Ari? The party plot was highly uninteresting, and you could see the sponsor solution (all the pseudo-celebs do that, have sponsors "host" birthday and other parties for them, as a photo-op for the tabs) a mile away. The revenue from that also helped pay the actors' salaries for a week.

And where did those three clowns even get the party money in the first place? That's a lot of coin, given the rate at which they spend it, and the lack of revenue coming from Vince these days.

Picky, picky, I know. Not sure where all the great TV writers have gone (probably to the Barney Miller precinct in the sky, or Gary's Old Towne Tavern), but it doesn't ever seem like they have more than two seasons's worth of good material for any series before they run dry.

I really wanna love this show.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bingo.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can't think of two worse actors on a major TV show than the two guys playing Vince and Eric.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

surely you jest.

have you see two-and-a-half men? the 1/2 is the best actor. have you seen csi: miami? i could go on and on and on....

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't watch any CSI shows, but Charlie Sheen is excellent on that 2 1/2 Men. Jon Cryer isn't as good, but he's Pacino compared to those two guys.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I do think Vince is terrible. I like Eric though.

And ballscribe, I thought the 'bitch' line was the capper of a night in which she got increasingly agitated. She started off high-road, but you could see it start to boil up in her earlier at the party. I thought it was a good "fuck you" line to Ari to show she had won.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nah. She was a complete woman. *grin/duck* Ari's going to go to the mattresses and she's going to be left there holding an Edith Wharton script and whining about getting housed. The end of the episode was Vince saying, "Let's hold off on that offer until we know that Ari isn't right..." Ari's already planted the seed of doubt. She can't play on that level. Her looks can't help her out in a fight with Ari.

Draft saved Draft deleted