1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entertainment whores

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 13, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pat O'Brien was NEVER respectable. He always had that awful weave and lobbed softballs even before softball TV "journalism" became accepted. He was really Jim Gray before Jim Gray, right down to the awful receding hairline.

And Elliotte is right. Celebrities are bitches, every one of them. With plenty of patience, Joe Blows like us might be able to get enough 1-on-1 time Sammy Stud Athlete to craft a solid story. If the entertainer's not on the cover of your publication, forget it.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I want that job with the FCC that Double Down talked about on the Dixie Chicks/Grammy thread, where you sit on a throne and get fed grapes by a harem of sluts. I mean, talk about loving life! ;D

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Some people might think of sports writing as: There are a bunch of illiterate, steroid-engorged criminals chasing after a ball like a pack of Labradors (who, by the way, hate you), and after they're done you hang on every word they say and write stories about them, even getting stressed out about it and in some cases develop inflated senses of self-worth. I really don't think we're any further up the evolutionary scale than the "entertainment whores."

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I will open a fucking vein before I ever use the word "canoodling" in print. Maybe we're not that far apart, but I swear to God and everything holy I will do it.

5. Disagree with the Jim Gray comparison. Gray has been a henchman at times, when he's not trying to kiss ass. Better comparison, IMO, is to Ahmad Rashad.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. No one likes Jim Gray; no one sucks up like Bobby Moore.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Anyone remember when Pat still was at CBS and he sat on the Jordan retirement story?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I still assert that at one time Jim Gray was one of the top three TV sports interviewers. He gets far too much grief for the Rose questions and not the credit for asking them when many others wouldn't. OK, the Kobe stuff wasn't so cool, but Gray has not been a career hack.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Gray has been unfairly criticized for the Rose interview. Gray did what he should have done.
    But he's also a relentless Kobe Bryant jock sniffer.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed on the latter...
    Time and a place for the former... and trying to badger him at the All-Star Game honoring his status in the game wasn't it. (Next question: When is it a good time? Answer: That was it, but his persistence turned sentiment toward Rose.)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rose hasn't been shy about hanging around events to which he wasn't invited in an effort to make things about him.
    I thought the time and place was perfect.
    And then Gray had to go mow Bryant's lawn.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted