1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entertainment whores

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm sitting here in the newsroom, and the TV is on. One of the entertainment "tabloid" shows is on, the one with Pat O'Brien. And I wonder...

What the fuck happened to Pat? He used to be a fairly respected sports guy, doing NBA studio show and some sideline stuff on CBS. When did he lose all self-respect and decide to become another showbizzy tabloid television whore spending his life worrying about whether Britney's out drinking, where Anna's going to be buried or when Paris' next video's hitting the 'web? Jesus.
    Kevin Frazier's on the same path. Used to be very good sports guy on Cincinnati local Fox affiliate, did college basketball broadcasts, then moved up to ESPN. Presto-change-o, and he's Mary Hart's fucking sidekick reporting on Courtney Cox's pregnancy.

Ponderous, man. Ponderous. Do people really not give a fuck what they cover, if the money's right? Could you? I couldn't. Would rather -- as someone on SportsJournalists.com once said -- play piano in a whorehouse.
    Venting done.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not sure how playing a piano in a whorehouse is a bad thing. Sounds like a pretty decent job to me.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I think Kevin saw Bristol as a pinnacle and a holy grail, then moved up there and saw what it was for real, then...ET Weekend anchor...s-s-s-s--suuuuuure!

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Frazier was given more $$$ to jump from SC. Apparently DJ Stewy wasn't going to move out of the way for Kevin and Fred Hickman. The only time you see Hickman now and that's the NBA pre-game show.

O'Brien's been a media hound. Ever since the Lakers' Dynasty back in the 80's ended, it wasn't hard for Pat to pick up work chasing entertainers around and kissing their ass. Of course if you throw in Betsy, the cell phone, cocaine, he can make you go fucking crazy!!!!!!

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't know there's enough money for me to seriously consider a job in which you've just spent a week working on the Anna Nicole Smith story.

Would. End. My. Life.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Entertainment pays better than sports...

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Oh, you'd spend a week on it, but you wouldn't do much work. And I suspect it pays well.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It better pay well. I had a long talk with someone who covers movies/tv, and I can't believe the bullshit they have to put up with from actors and publicists. We may bitch and moan about athletes, but the aggravation they may give us pales in comparison to what the entertainment reporters must put up with.

We can at least ask a tough question. If someone from ET asks a tough question, they may not get another interview, ever.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

http://www.screenhead.com/funny/pat_obrien_coked_n_horny.wma (so nsfw, its not even funny)

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm going to find a way to say that every day from now on.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted