1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Entertainer and icon" tweet. Did Peter King kind of misrepresent Cam Newton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sure seems that way, even if Peter doesn't see it like that. Another victory for Twitter, I guess.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/02/28/combine/1.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Actually it seems like Cam Newton said something really stupid and he has managers and agents trying to double-talk their way out of it on his behalf. He'll fit in perfectly in the NFL.

3. Double Down

It's easy to shit on Cam Newton, who even I think is kind of an idiot. He's an easy target.

But the context mattered there. It's a little bit unfair to ask a guy about his endorsement deal, then offer up that one quote without the context, and have it make him look like he's the kind of dumbass who would have Master P negotiate his first contract.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Newton just spewed back something Under Armour had said to him.

He was still stupid to say it.

5. Double Down

It was clearly not wise. But shouldn't King have put it into context? Even with multiple tweets? Kind of unfair to pretend like he mouthed off in that interview without the set-up. Even if the quote does get cherry-picked and viewed in whichever way people want to see it, I think it's still King's responsibility to convey what he was talking about when he said what he did. Which he didn't do until a week later.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Has any "skill" player since, say, 1990 gone into the league in the first round who did not in his heart of hearts believe exactly the same thing?

The problem here isn't King or Newton, it's the NFL, and the fiction that it's still 1950. The NFL sells high-flying entertainment. Why it thinks it has to repackage spectacle as working-class morality is the real mystery here.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let's put this into context. Under Armour put him on the phone to sell crap with a trendy logo on it. So this wasn't a case of an aw shucks kid getting twisted in circles by a reporter who snuck up on him. Under Armour is paying him more than $1 million dollars to be the face of the crap with the trendy logo. Newton has been all too happy to cash in as much as he can all along his ride from high school to college to now -- and no, I don't fault him. But he doesn't get to have it both ways. When he stuck himself into the Big Boy world -- and this is when he was for sale to colleges, not just when he signed a big endorsement deal recently -- he forfeited the right to call mulligans and claim he's a gullible, unsophisticated kid. He wants to be Cam Newton, Inc. Great. Then handle your business. And when you put yourself on the phone with an SI reporter right before the combine and you say that -- in a call arranged by Under Armour -- maybe it kind of really does represent where your head is.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think he did it on purpose, but King should have given more context, and Newton was damaged because of his mistake.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am really missing something here.

What exactly is the "context" that mitigates it?

MMQB that week:
    "So I got 15 minutes on the phone with Cam Newton. It was arranged by Under Amour, who after signing him to a $1 million dollar + endorsement deal, was trying to ply a little PR out of him before the combine. I normally would have just cared about how he was preparing for the combine, where he thinks he might end up, if he's worried about the labor situation; things like that. But since I was on the stopwatch, and Under Armour had arranged the call, I figured why not ask him about the endorsement deal? And he said he wanted to stress that he saw himself not only as a football player, but also as an entertainer and icon."

Does that clarify the remarks?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Apparently we still have a lot of people on here who buy the Big Bad Media vs. Poor Innocent Kid garbage. Surprising on a board allegedly of people in the media biz.

11. Double Down

Oh go suck eggs, LTL.

King can still reveal Newton to be the jackass you clearly view him as AND put the quote in a context that's more fair.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The difference there is LeBron wasn't saying he wanted to be an icon when he was in high school; he at least waited until he reached the NBA and, you know, played for a franchise. Newton is jumping the gun at his potential popularity, even though he has already been vilified and will continue to be because of his college validity.

And Cam Newton is no LeBron James.

Draft saved Draft deleted