1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enterprise editor, Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Baltimore Sun is looking for a content editor to oversee enterprise. The candidate must be able to generate enterprise ideas and get them on A1, and use social media to promote our stories. He or she must be a strong word editor, willing to fill in as the sports slot on the copy desk on occasion. You will also be taught how to produce the website. If interested, contact Ron Fritz, sports editor, at rtfritz@baltsun.com.

Ron's one of the people I respect most in the business. He'll be as upfront with you as anyone about questions about the company, etc. So, yeah, this is a Gold Seal Job.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

First The State posts a Sunday sports editor job, now The Baltimore Sun posts a enterprise editor. You'd almost think newspapers were healthy. I worry about both of those positions being luxury jobs, the first to go when the ax swings.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Wasn't this Chris Korman's job? Where to?

4. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

I'm going back to reporting and will be working on the business staff, covering the business of sports. I'll also continue covering the Triple Crown.

Feel free to contact me with questions about the job, staff, city, etc.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Chris, based on my research (a Google search of your name), the job description accounts for about a third of your current duties. What's the deal? Will the hire also be required to take over the Toy Department blog and handle the Sunday section?

6. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

The Toy Department died when we switched blogging platforms. There's a new general interest sports blog, Baltimore Sports Blitz, that could be this person's responsibility depending on how Ron decides to do things.

I haven't really handled the Sunday section over the past year or so because I managed our Ravens coverage last fall. We've since hired a new Ravens editor, and one of our slot editors has taken on some of the Sunday planning duties.

The deal, really, is that Ron will mold the job somewhat to the skills/desires of the person hired.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So this is more of an editing/idea position than a writing position?

8. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Yes. You won't be dissuaded from writing, especially for the blogs. But it's an editing job.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Appears filled by former news writer Childs Walker. He did some sports stuff in the past.

10. Matt Bracken

Matt Bracken New Member

This job is actually still open. Childs is back in sports as an enterprise reporter. We're still accepting applications for enterprise editor.

If anyone has questions about the position, feel free to PM me or shoot me an email at mbracken@baltsun.com.

--Matt Bracken, deputy sports editor

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

12. willwriteforfood

willwriteforfood New Member

Think you'll have to beat out Gus Haynes for this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted