1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enter Code, Get 30 Lives at ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Good Doctor, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Anybody else ever find the hidden code in Quark back in the day that made the alien walk out and blast your selected item with a ray gun? I did it a couple of times on accident before figuring out what the hell was going on.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

oh shit! our arts editor told me about that... I can't remember the code off the top of my head, but it's pretty funny.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I set that off once and had no idea what the hell was going on. I blinked about 10 times and wondered briefly if I had hallucinated.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The bad part is that you couldn't undo it. So it was fun to do on purpose, but if you accidentally blasted your centerpiece, you were screwed.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The "Revert To Saved" command is your friend.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Cmd/Option/Shift/K

Several thousand years ago when my paper was converting to Quark, the paginators were assigned training courses, taught by this crusty old bird. As I was going in to the training session, the previous class was leaving. A co-worker told me "Hey, hold down Cmd/Option/Shift/K. It's awesome." So, immediately when class begins, I start a page and put some stuff on it and hit the keys. Basically, the alien walked onto the page and zapped whatever was selected on the page. Also it made a funny noise like a UFO was landing or something.
    All this is going on while the instructor is teaching us. The noise blared outta the speakers and the teach yells out, "WHO IS DOING THAT?!!" I sheepishly raise my hand and try to play it off like I accidently hit these four keys - together, all at once, accidently. She storms outta the room and, seriously, I thought she was gonna come back with the publisher and have me fired right there.
    Couple minutes later, she comes back in, saying she needed a water break. After class I apologized and we laughed about it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude that was pretty fucked up (the ESPN.com thing, never tried or even knew about the Quark thing). I'm gonna have nightmares about that tonight.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Now you can cornify SportsJournalists.com! :D

Drag the link on http://www.cornify.com/ to the bookmarks toolbar in your browser. Go to any website and click the new button to start cornificating.

(Many thanks to our design guy for the link)

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does the Quark thing still work?

Draft saved Draft deleted