1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough with the $*!#@ mower, I need sleep!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

At least once a week I am awakened by the landscaping cacophony (mower, followed by clipper, followed by leaf blower) at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m.

For those of us who work nights and sleep days, 8 a.m. is like 2 a.m. to a 9-to-5er, and I know they wouldn't appreciate a fucking leaf blower outside their window at 2 a.m.

I don't mind the snow plow, because I realize that's providing an earlier-is-better service. But does the brown grass really need to be mowed every week? Can't they wait until, say, 11 a.m.?

Have any of the board's night owls had success complaining to neighbors or management about stuff like this?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not a problem here, but the other day the local fire department did its annual Christmas drive around the neighborhood. Santa waved from the truck and threw out popcorn balls to all the good boys and girls and the fuckers driving the trucks blared the sirens at levels so loud I thought the entire neighborhood had fucking exploded.

I fell back asleep, but that was an annoying wakeup call.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You will be sad to learn my answer is no. :'(

Maybe you should go kick them in the balls.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

fixed

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Does Mrs. tbf's snoring count. She's eight months pregnant, and it isn't too easy to ask her to roll over.

We have a full-size bed. yeah, it sucks.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Every Thursday morning the garbage truck wakes me up. If the asshole wasn't so harsh on the engine and could drive a stick more smoothly it wouldn't be nearly as loud. Plus, it's one of the few times my dog barks (he doesn't like loud noises coming from outside).

They are doing construction on the road running next my yard and will be out there all hours of the day and night (very random times) morning making so much noise that everything in the house shakes. Yeah, dog barks at them too.

My neighbor with the louder than life truck starts it up in the morning to let it warm up. Then he revs it several times before even putting it in gear. On the way up the driveway he guns it, making enough noise to wake the dead.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My big problem when I first started working nights was the phone ringing. Sometimes, it would be people who had to contact me, or people I called and left messages for. However sometimes the conversation would go like this:

Me: Uhh, hel..zzz.

Caller: Hello sir, How are you today.

Me: Tired. You woke me up. I work at night.

Caller: Oh, I'm sorry sir. But I'm with (corporate entity). I'd like to talk to you today about (refinancing, getting a new credit card, buying a car, etc...).

Me: zzzz.

Caller: Sir, sir are you there? (Hangs up).

Phone: Starts that annoying tone when you leave it on.

Me: Click.

Needless to say, I now have the ringer off and the answering machine on. It's a lot more peaceful that way.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This is certainly a thread title I wouldn't expect to see on December 21st.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I get the lady that picks up a friend every night around 5pm. She sits out in the parking lot and honks her effin' truck horn in five to thirty second bursts for anywhere from five to twenty minutes. The lazy twat will not get her ass out of her pickup truck and go knock on her friend's door. I went down to bitch at her once but she doesn't speak the language printed on our money. I've considered shooting out the back window of her truck or buying some p.o.s. vehicle and running it into her truck. She's definitely one of my top candidates for post-natal abortion.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm woken by hand-fulls of loud kids from time to time, but probably not once a week. Start putting rocks in their lawn. Sure, it'll be a louder noise than usual. But at least when it wakes you, you'll smile.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Sorry, toots, but city ordinances for noise are generally 10 p.m.-8 a.m. You're fresh out of luck.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Been there, went through that, TBF. Definitely sucks, but by eight months you should know the deal. The pregnant woman is always right and no matter what she does that may make you nuts, she is probably feeling at least 10 times worse at that very moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted