1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough Of This Stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 26, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How about "tyranny of the majority"?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The statement is not false, and you know. But okay, let's focus on Christianity. With the exception of extremely isolated situations like your odd abortion clinic bombing (quick ... when was the last one? I didn't think you could remember, either), the worst you'll get from a Christian is for them to be annoying ... much like the Army major in the story.
    Christians are not strapping suicide bomb belts on themselves.
    They're not flying planes into buildings.
    They're not bombing trains and subways.
    They're not beheading people.
    They're not stoning people.
    They're not committing honor killings.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have nothing against atheists, I just hate it when they rub their atheism in our faces like this.

4. Hey Ace --
    I don't think I generalized that way about the people who go to megachurches.
    Their pastors, on the other hand, well...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think smallp was identified as the anti-megite.

As for me, I won't even listen to a preacher who ain't driving a Mercedes.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1607314/

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In most cases, you are correct, FB. But not in all cases. In some special career fields -- and the story did not indicate Hall's MOS -- majors do command. For example, majors command 12-ship (and soon-to-be 15-ship) air ambulance companies (that'll be me, one day 8) ) and it is not uncommon to see majors command aviation units, depending on size. My commander, the commander of two sister companies in the battalion and the commander of a detachment also in our battalion are all majors.

Many majors also command what we formerly call combat service and service support units (see Army Warfighting Functions). Most majors in command can be found in the special operations communities, both operational guys and public affairs and psyops companies, as well.

For the most part, however, you are correct. Majors, typically after a time on brigade staff, are sent back to the battalion to become the S-3 (operations officer) or executive officer.

8. I believe that says that I am pissed off at "megachurch wingnuts who assume the title of Christian all to their lonesome." Alas, Meat, while not everyone in a megachurch, these people do exist, and their pastors do too, and they all pretty much suck.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh come on now. Are you a Christian or some namby-pamby legalist?

Any Christian with a brain knows our brothers and sisters have fucked up royally in the name of greed. The marriage of faith and financial success - birthing the phrase that "God helps those who help themselves" - has contributed to the materialistic, by-any-means-necessary-I-must-have-money culture we're mired in right now. America is a shithole in all kinds of places, and it is, in part, the failure of Christians to do one damn thing about it.

I keep trying to tell people: America's civil war is its murder rate, its rape rate, its drug problem, its millions of people in jail. The tyranny and despair is necessarily so stark as it is in the Third World, but it is there, and Christians have done precious little about it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, Alma slapped that right up there on the cathedral door, didn't he?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Has quite a point though. Can't say I don't agree with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted