1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough Of This Stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The religious right is fond of saying "It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion."
    But that's two sides of the same coin. If you're choosing to be a Muslim or a Jew or a Christian, you're also choosing not to follow some other religion. In a country where there's not supposed to be a state-sponsored religion, you should feel welcome regardless of which religion you practice and if you choose not to believe in a god, you should be welcome, too.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion. - Treaty of Tripoli, 1797

If the term atheist was widely used when this country was founded, most of our founding fathers would have been described as such.

3. I think it is more accurate to say most of the founding fathers were deists, not athiests.
    It doesn't change the fact that there should be a seperation of church and state, but you read the documents and they often mention a creator.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought Evangelical Christianity was the Religion of Peace!?!

5. Jesus is the Prince of Peace.
    Unfortunately, not all of his followers understand that.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is a sad situation. There is absolutely no place for this type of behavior -- especially from a field grade officer. From other readings I could find, it appears there was only one other soldier who threatened Spc. Hall.

If there were other soldiers and the situation was creating a distraction within the unit, a commander would have to separate those involved, for the good order and discipline of the unit.

I can assure you this isn't a widespread problem throughout the Army, contrary to what some of you may believe. I have several friends in the Army who are Athiests, even a couple who are Wiccan, and none of them have mentioned any type of discrimination.

I'm going to start a thread sometime in the near future that deals with this sort of situation with women. We'll discuss more there. That's a more serious problem than this, I assure you.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry. I've been busy.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That is so true. I couldn't agree with you more.

It's almost as bad as those who consider themselves the most liberal, yet are some of the most close-minded people I have ever met. I know, I know. That's not up for debate is it?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Way to take the original point ... religion ... and spin it into a debate about liberals. Even if what you say is true ... and it is to an extent ... you completely spun the topic to another point.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, that's not really the Christian way of thinking. People who do think that way are sadly off-message. However, at least Christians in the 21st century don't say: "If you don't pray to the same God we do, maybe we'll kill you."
    The extreme fringe of another religion in the 21st century does.

11. Hondo, ever hear of David Koresh, Timothy McVeigh, abortion clinic bombers, etc.?
    Unfortunately, the Muslims don't have a monopoly on crazy murderers.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm trying to understand your approach here, Hondo. Really, I am. But I'm not sure I understand the mentality that exists behind your attempt to divert or excuse this by in the extremeish of other religions when that doesn't really impact this particular issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted