1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough of the PC! And whining!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=791c9154-0c58-4fd3-8ff7-4801ee69275a&k=1722

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

More astonishing is that there's someone out there who reads The National Post.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'll say this: He ain't exactly wrong. The number of programs and commercials that present men as fools is staggering.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

But there are as many presenting women as bimbos and sex objects.

Things like Hope and Faith (which my wife watches occassionally), Show Me The Money (dance for me girls! - William Shatner), I'm sure there are more.

Can't everyone just get over it and be entertained? (And obviously, not by the two shows I just mentioned however!)

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Presenting stereotypes has been a comedy standard for years. And presenting Dads as avoiding chores or being incompetent at them has been the sitcom (and comic strip - Hello, Dagwood! - standard) for years. He must be raising sons because if he had daughters he'd be suing over the Axe commercials wherein women lose all moral sense because of some guys cologne.

Yikes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who buys it (OK, I know one guy who loudly claims it's the best paper in Canada) but plenty of people read it for free when they're waiting for their car to get fixed or in a hotel or something.

7. Did you guys really need a newspaper in which Canadians behave like Americans?

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The National Post is still around? I never hear anyone mentioning it. I only hope the material has gotten better.

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I remember being shown a video during a campus visit at my alma mater. Played up the stereotypes that all the girls were responsible students, while all the guys were good ol' boys who did nothing but sleep in, never study and chase coeds.

They weren't off by much.

Draft saved Draft deleted