1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough of David Simon, Give Me David Broder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 20, 2008.

1. 69Z

69Z New Member

David Simon is angry with those running newspapers into the ground, not the newspapers. He has singled out two people, who, really, could represent management at any newspaper. This season on the Wire looks exactly like Philly a year ago. And one of those guys is the editor there who agreed to the layoffs. Simon has become the voice for anyone forced to take a buyout or a layoff from the job they wanted to keep, working for a newspaper.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Management is in Fantasyland, in this instance. Offer reduced content while obliterating institutional memory,
    and expect sustained returns? Meth addicts are more rational.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. .. but I'm not naive, here. The suits are riding what they view as a largely-wasting asset (the print product) as mercilessly as they dare.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Of course, it's a little more complicated than that, since both John Carroll and Bill Marimow were fired when they tried to stand up to the publishers of the LA Times and Baltimore Sun when told they had to make cuts. Simon just wasn't there to see it. Making the two of them out to be the bad guy makes for an interesting narrative, and it may be good for storytelling. But it doesn't exactly represent the nuanced truth about an American city that The Wire previously did.

5. How does Google get paid for newspaper advertising? I don't understand this. Don't they just link to our sites, i.e., drive traffic our way?

There's some synapse that's not firing here for me. Can someone explain it?

6. 69Z

69Z New Member

True, he was fired in Baltimore, but Marimow did make the cuts when he came to Philly. Simon could be writing about the Philly paper and just calling it the Sun. It looks hauntingly familiar. Then again, Simon could be writing about any paper today.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Very classy way of putting Fen in his place. Not all politics are local. ;D[/threadjack]

Draft saved Draft deleted