1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enlighten me, please, on Clay Travis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This cbssportsline.com columnist and author of the book on going to each SEC city for a game last year, quite frankly makes a damn fool of himself for bragging about his drinking exploits and other sophomoric stuff in the book and columns. A Tennessee homer to the point of embarassment. All the book jacket says is that he's a law school grad of Vanderbilt. But there is nothing on his writing/journalist background, if any. How did this tool get a sportsline and book gig?

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Bill Simmons Effect. He's so popular other outlets have tried to get either a Regular Joe Sixpack or comedian to match him. I blame his popularity (not Simmons himself) for the rise of Jennifer Sterger, Jay Mohr, Clay Travis and others as "sportswriters."

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but does anyone know how Travis, in particular, landed the gig? Do Fan Boys just email a web site and get hired these days? I'd like to know what got him the job.

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Ah, well that specifically I couldn't tell you.

5. I don't know. I could blame Simmons for this.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he had a really enjoyable column on the passing of the jp telecast last year

the book was fine, easy trash reading. i enjoyed it. junk food reading, really.

if you don't like it, don't read it. really, not that tough. well, for hondo, we know it is.

i don't like simmons, i don't read him.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

He and his buddies started a blog called "Deadly Hippos," and his stuff got so many hits that he got a CBS Sportsline gig, and then he got the book deal. That's how I understand it, anyway.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Here's the difference: Simmons was a (gasp) journalist before his foray into being Sports Guy, and he's actually an OK writer. No, I'm not Bill.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

His name is Henry
    Clay Henry
    He's a fireman and a Jared fan
    From Subway

He got real big on burgers and fries
    Now he's down to a smaller size
    Gets his might from his veggie delight
    Great taste each day from his local Subway

He's Henry

Clay Henry

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Trouser, you are Dead. To. Me.

I will now have "Henry, Clay Henry" in my head for the rest of the day. DAMN YOU!

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Subtle, yet sadistic... :)

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Blow me. I'll match my summer reading list against yours any day. Your coffee-table book of Peanuts greatest hits doesn't count.

Draft saved Draft deleted