1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enjoyable minor league ballparks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, May 4, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I watched many a games there during summers when I went to camp in New Hampshire. We went to two games each summer. It's a great field.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Camden Yards is HOK, right?

Still a breath-taking park.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet Jeebus, I'm moving.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pilot Field/Dunn Tire Park in Buffalo was among the first of the downtown, retro stadiums, and it's still a very nice place to watch a game, even as it shows its age a bit. Plus funky Jack McGinty's bar right across Swan Street is a good place to grab some wings and a Genny Cream.

Frontier Field in Rochester is nice, too.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yeah, that's the thing about Maverick Stadium, the precursor to the palaces in Rancho, Lake Elsinore, Lancaster and San Bernardino. Don't go to a game there in April.

But I like the place -- as long as I'm not covering one of the 18-12 games there.

And Mile, if you've been to Arrowhead Credit Union Park, you've been to The Hangar Clear Channel Stadium in Lancaster. They're the same park, save for the underground clubhouse at San Bernardino and the above-ground clubhouses in Lancaster.

6. accguy

accguy Member

The best ones I've been to:

-- Victory Field in Indy
    -- Durham Bulls Athletic Park is always fun.
    -- The old-school short-season park in Eugene, Ore.
    -- Echo that Portland, Maine is fun.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The park in Little Rock is awesome and there's a nice hotel across the street, within stumbling distance, with both just across the river from the bar district.

I believe all tickets at Fifth Third in Toledo are $9.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Slugger Field in Louisville and whatever the Lexington Legends are calling their stadium now.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

The best minor league parks that I've been to:

1. AutoZone in Memphis (bbq nachos and proximity to beale street give it the nod over #2)
    2. Fifth Third Field in Toledo (the roost and the bar that looks into right field are awesome)
    3. Bosse Field in Evansville (it exudes history; it'd be No.1 if they got rid of that ugly inner fence; there are no recorded HRs over the original fence, which was used until the 1950s)
    4. Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi (watching the ships go by is great)
    5. Louisville Slugger Field (nice but bland)
    6. Alliant Energy Field in Clinton, Iowa
    7. Veterans Memorial Stadium in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    8. O'Brien Stadium in Peoria, Ill.

One that most people like but I hated: GCS Ballpark in Sauget, Ill. I can't get over the fact that it's in the middle of a giant parking lot in an industrial park. That just sucks the soul out of the place.

The two worst places I've been: Beloit, Wisc., (slightly better than most high school venues) and Nashville (I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed yet)

10. I'll add another vote for Victory Field in Indy.

And I'm intrigued by Whataburger Field.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You got it backwards. PNC's a major-league ballpark, but with a minor-league team.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But the one in Sauget is by PT's, isn't it? That's in its favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted