1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enjoyable minor league ballparks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, May 4, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Beautiful park, but suffers from the typical FSL problem of having 7,000 seats and 600 fans. The good thing about it is it hosts two teams, so there's almost always a game there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Canal Park in downtown Akron is not a bad place to watch a game for one of the Indians affiliates. Stadium is about 11-12 years now.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Alliant Energy Field in Clinton, Iowa. Old WPA park built at the end of the Great Depression. Lots of character and the best selection of food and beer at any minor league park. For $3 you can get 16 ounces of Fat Tire or 24 ounces of Rolling Rock. And they have a complete line of Leinenkugel products.

The owner once said, "If I'm going to be there 70 nights a year, we're going to have good food."

Now, if only the smell weren't so dang-blasted raunchy (paper factory on the river).

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I rather enjoy that aspect

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I assume the only reason Victory Field in Indianapolis hasn't been mentioned is because nobody's been there.

Hands down the best field in the minors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No one's said PNC Park yet?

We're slipping.

7. There are apartments across the street from AutoZone Park in Memphis, where you can walk out on your balcony and have a view of Triple-A ball from center field. You're within a few blocks of Beale Street. That's my definition of heaven.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm trying to keep my Pirates jokes to a minimum in May.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree that the HOK syndrome has become a cliche, but it wasn't yet when I went to Durham in the late 1990s and I had a good time there.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You're a heartless bastard.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Phucker;

Beat me to it.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fair enough. It is nice having a whole row (or section) to yourself. Lakeland was the best place for that; they draw even fewer fans than normal FSL teams.

Since we're including FSL/spring training parks, I'll throw in the new Phillies park in Clearwater. Great beer selection too, including stuff from the local brewery in Dunedin.

Draft saved Draft deleted