1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enjoyable minor league ballparks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, May 4, 2008.

1. I couldn't find a decent photo, but the park in Greenville, SC is terrific. It's got a Green Monster (Fenway), and warehouse (Camden), and balconies (Wrigley) in the outfield, and Yuengling runs the RF biergarten.
    Also Shoeless Joe Jackson's house is right across the street from the main gate.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Seeing this thread makes me realize how much cock the Diamond in Richmond sucks.

As for a favorite...

B-Mets in Binghamton for the chicken speedie and the wonderful shot-and-a-beer, choke-and-puke bar across the street.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd forgotten they built a new park after the Braves left, and I was trying to figure out why you were saying all these nice, completely untrue things about the old place.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is that the bar that also offers parking?

I go to Binghamton at least once a year (it's a wild and crazy life I lead) and nothing is more amusing than watching a train proceed at about 1 mph beyond the fences.

It's also a favorite b/c my wife's cousin caught her first baseball there two years ago. A massive thunderstorm delayed the game an hour or so and just about everyone left. When it resumed, we went to sit behind the visitor's dugout. On the next-to-last pitch of the game, someone from Harrisburg grounded a ball foul. the Binghamton third baseman picked it up and my wife and I jumped up and started motioning to our cousin. He tossed it to our cousin, who had a mile-wide grin. Good times.

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Waterfront Park in Trenton, home of the Trenton Thunder, the Yankees' AA affiliate, is a nice place to catch a game. Nothing much scenic beyond the outfield fences (other than the Delaware River and a parking lot, which you can't see from the stands), but its a fun atmosphere in the stands.

Lexington, KY's is pretty nice too.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I once got tossed out of that park -- by the umpire.

8. 93Devil

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same place. I think it is the only bar on that block.

The place I am thinking of has not, shall we say, invested too much in the last 10 years into the decor of the establishment.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's probably a good money getter for the team.

If I was having an office party I'd definitely do it in something like that rather than just another suite.

10. 93Devil

I saw Marcus Thames fouled one off the plate with so much backspin that it came up and nailed him in the balls.

It must have been the dreaded delayed reaction because he just crushed the next one out. Not to a boxcar, but it was a shot. Then he started to limp badly between first and second.

Poor bastard could barely round the bases.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Both of my favorites have been mentioned: Blair County Ballpark in Altoona, and Medlar Field/Lubrano Park in State College. Not a bad seat in either house.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter, Fla.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted