1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enjoyable minor league ballparks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, May 4, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I've really gained a great appreciation for the minors over the last few years, with the quality of the players, ballparks and environment. Trenton will be in my top three for a very long time and Lakewood has always been enjoyable the times I've been there. The Pelicans down in Myrtle Beach also has a nice little operation going on there.

Along with the great prices, one of the things I really enjoy about the minors is that there are far fewer -- if any -- belligerently drunken fans that you usually encounter at a major league game. Two weeks ago at a Yanks-Sox game at the Stadium, there was a row of these drunken a-holes constantly standing up and being obnoxious on the worst level. One inning they're cheering for the Red Sox, the next they're for the Yanks. Anyway, I'm more able to actually sit down and WATCH THE GAME!

My question to all you SportsJournalists.commers is this: what are some of the better minor league parks you've been to? Take into account the facilities, prices, food & beverage selection, promotions & giveaways, accessability, surrounding environment and any other nuggets of information you possess.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've heard the Braves' single-A park in Rome, Ga., is pretty nice.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Louisville's stadium for the Bats is gorgeous. Liked Memphis a lot too, and make sure you get the BBQ chicken nachos if you go.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Evansville, Ind., which has a Frontier League team (the Otters), has a fantastic ballpark, Bosse Field. They shot League of Their Own there. I love that place.

[​IMG]

EDIT: To add picture since everybody else is doing that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

Chattanooga's AT&T Field, home of the Lookouts, is great -- plus it's two blocks from all the restaurants and bars downtown.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Pirates' Single-A stadium in University Park (State College), Pa., is gorgeous.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i groove the mariners triple-a park (cheney) in tacoma. it's old as hell, but god do you ever feel right at home in it.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I spent the summer of 1969 in Tacoma. Cheney is still in use? Yee god.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

still is. still one of my favorite minor league parks, too ... but then again, i'm an old bastard.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Elfstrom Stadium, home of the Kane County (Ill.) Cougars.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Auto Zone Park in Memphis is great. It's proximity to Beale St. is just one of its many awesome features.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Birdscribe ... Birdscribe ... you're being paged....

Draft saved Draft deleted