1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Engrossing dispatch or word dump?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually added to my post before you responded, apologies.

By 'espn readership' I do not mean 'subliterate frat boys,' as much as others like to deploy that tired cliche.

I mean sports readers who have become accustomed to years of espn TREATING them like subliterate frat boys, and are not quite sure what to make of the recent attempt to dress up like The New Yorker.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yes, I liked it, very much. Emailed Wright to say so. I also love cricket, so it was right in my wheelhouse, and I'll admit that up front.

And let me just say that I have no problem with people constructively criticizing the work of others. That's how we get better. I get hacked on here all the time, and I couldn't give a shit. (I'm posting as typefitter rather than Jones because I can't remember my password on that account. Weirdly, I could remember this one.)

What I do have a problem with is Alma -- who pretends to be some oracle on the mountain, when for all we know he's just another schlub -- twice taking work written by friends of mine and posting their stories (without comment, I'll add, which I believe is against this site's stated rules) and declaring them "overwritten" and "word dumps" for no good reason.

I mean, that's just shitty. And one of the principal reasons this site has gone in the toilet is the constant, unnecessary, transparent negativity. I didn't stop posting here because I was at ESPN or whatever other reasons have been given. I stopped posting here because it was fucking depressing.

MacGregor is one of the few stylists left in this game. He works his ass off. While he was here, he did more to help young writers than anyone. He's a mensch if there ever was one. And Thompson is one of our best going right now. He works his stories like few of us do. He's also, like MacGregor, a tremendously good guy.

And I can't abide some anonymous prick coming on here and just sideswiping them without context, without reason, because he likes to think he's smarter than everyone else. It's fucking cheap and pathetic.

And as for the ESPN stuff... ESPN has plenty of smart, talented writers working for it. The idea that an organization that big is some uniform entity is ludicrous. To paint them all with the same brush is as fair as saying if you work for Gannett, you must be a hack.

Holy shit, folks. There's actually a place in the world willing to send a writer to India, willing to give a writer thousands of words, willing to give him art and a platform and money, and you're going to knock them for that?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can I refer to you as the The Typefitter? [hadtodoitallingoodfun]

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hi to The Typefitter.

I don't know Alma's motive for picking these particular stories, if he's addressing a larger theme, I have no idea. I would be interested to know.

ESPN is loaded smart talented writers, especially where the Mag is concerned. Best in the business, as I have said many times. Unfortunately, they're frequently buried under the relentless bad design and constant confusion about what that magazine is about. That's part of the issue: great writing and great writers smothered by cheesy gimmicks.

I do think there's a broader discussion to be had about espn, and whether something that huge can adequately serve all its viewers/readers without leaving a good portion of them thinking, 'huh?' And much of the discussion here absolutely stems from the years of 'ESPN SUCKS!' discussions that suddenly became offensive when some of the great writers here went to work there. Not going to rehash that debate but you know what I mean.

As for the criticism, I don't think it's ever been any different here, friends and loved ones bashed all the time. It would be lovely if everyone was caring and supportive and compassionate. But this site has always been more Lou Grant than Maxwell Perkins, for better or worse, and, I'll concede, probably worse.

5. typefitter

And here they are, together again: the imaginary Angel, and the imaginary Devil, on each of our shoulders.

Sorry 21. No free pass for you today. You're in league with the idiots. I'll expect your buddy Lynch at any moment.

6. typefitter

Oh, and Boom deletes. That's too bad. Couldn't see that coming. Anyone want to defend Alma?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think I'll stand by my earlier comments. What a waste of time.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Decided it was an unfair shot but since your game, how is your hatchet job on Whitlock any different from what you are whining about on this thread?

9. typefitter

What, 21? You want me to ignore the fact that your alleged boyfriend took his fiftieth run at me? You want to skate around that somehow?

No, really, 21. Enlighten me. I want to know why you think I should ignore him and ignore the fact that you're associated with him.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

In before the lock. Who wants some popcorn?

[​IMG]

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ok type, I come in peace under the banner of the UN. Lets have a summit talk right here on this thread. You should be back at SJ , as should Mac and for that matter anyone else who left.

How do you suggest writer criticisms should be handled? Should we develop a list of untouchables?

Under what terms will you come back ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it make more sense for Alma to be the one?

Maybe shoot him a PM and work it out on the open board.

And not in a "fuck you, no fuck you!' exchange, that's not what I mean.

See what he's got to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted