1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Engrossing dispatch or word dump?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 30, 2011.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

General consensus? No one has said it was a word dump except for you, you pompous dickhead. Which, by the way, is a really constructive, helpful way to talk about someone's hard work.

Hope you're pleased with your contribution.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not the writer's fault, obviously, but I stopped at the headline.

"Why You Should Care About Cricket."

This reminded me too much of the stories and headlines before each soccer World Cup that basically tell me that because people in other countries care about soccer, then we should. Not true at all.

Oh, I'm sure the headline has some kind of deep meaning that I'll discover when I eventually get to the story.

I'm interested in cricket. It fascinates me, as a sport we don't see a lot of stateside. But I guess I just wasn't in the mood for such a stupid and presumptuous headline.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I stopped at the headline, as well. My thoughts exactly, Piotr.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The headline was God-awful. The story made some good points even if I didn't particularly care for the extreme first-person narration. I usually love Wright's style, but this time, he got in the way a little too often.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Which sports would those be?

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I don't know, but your contribution is offensive and a personal attack.

Bct class. Be classy.

When you win 20 in the show, you can let fungus grow on your shower shoes.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Long-form narrative is fucking hard. Hard to write, hard to report, hard to shape in your mind. It's personal. There is blood mixed with the words.

To dismiss it with one pithy comment is easy. And shitty. Criticize it if you like. That's how it works. But at least have something to say.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the point of alma's question? A writer of Wright Thompson's caliber spends all that time and effort and, if you insist, blood....for cricket? Directed at espn's readership?

We're having the same conversation over and over, it seems.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, the point of Alma's question remains a mystery, and he asks neither of your follow-ups.

Cricket? Why not cricket?

ESPN's readership has made it the most emailed story on that site for the better part of the week, and posted over 22000 Facebook recommendations to it.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ah. Engrossing dispatch, then. Case solved.

Not one of the comments here in support of Wright and/or the piece actually stated, 'This is great! Loved it! Recommended it on Facebook!' Just the same old 'You don't get it, and we don't have to explain it to you.'

Did you like the piece, Azrael? Double Down? The long-absent typefitter?

I thought it was terrific. Never would have given it a second look if Alma hadn't posted it here.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry.

Just pointing out that Alma asked none of what you implied he asked, and that "espn's readership," - a phrase you deploy as some sort of code for "subliterate frat boys" - liked the piece well enough.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

We must have gone to the same college...Seriously, when I was an undergrad, I was recruited to participate because of my basetball background and my friendship with some engineering students who tied me in to the Indo-Paki engineering students. I never did play though. Wanted to, but it never worked out.

But when I went back a few years later, the number of foreign students had increased so much, they no longer needed to recruit Americans to fill up the teams. The games on the quad were as common as pick-up basketball games in the rec center.

Draft saved Draft deleted