1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enforcing AP style, active voice, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Will Hernandez, Feb 27, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ace and Frank are right.
    Style guides are simply that, not a mission.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

No, you're wrong. Tends to happen to people who simply guess or make assumptions.
    I'm not advocating using a 9 when, according to style, it should be spelled out. But do you really think your readers give a shit, either way?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What he said.

Not caring about style suggests to me that you don't care PERIOD. Style is a vital element of writing. If you don't care about a vital element of your craft, you shouldn't disrespect those of us who do care about it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what he said.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

No disrespect intended. Nothing wrong with adhering to style. But obsessing over it?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If you do it right the first time, like I try to do when I write, the editor shouldn't need to obsess over it. And how long does it take to change a couple words around or remove some comas?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not so easy, smart guy. Some people are in comas for years.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Pretty much any large paper has its own stylebook, usually based on AP's but with varying numbers of exceptions, and after you do it long enough, you start to see how silly it can be. Like, don't we all have better things to do than write down and memorize exceptions to AP style when there's really nothing so awful about AP style anyway? Overemphasis on this demeans copy editors, who ought to be spending their time improving stories conceptually and factually instead of ensuring conformity to arcane rules that no one besides them seems to know or care about. Any decent copy editor will have a good enough sense of the rules after a month or so at a new place, but becoming a hair-splitting expert is something I lost interest in when I recognized that big-picture copy editors are the ones who are the most valued on good desks.

9. I wouldn't say I obsess over it.

It's second nature to me.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

No, but I'll be sure to stay inside the next time it rains.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Give me a break. A coma is like a good nap. Afterward, all you want is your toothbrush and a good sandwich.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn frank, if i didn't know you better, that'd sound like an excuse for being lazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted