1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy used by Gore’s home in past year could power 232 homes for a month

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jun 18, 2008.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yes, Gore is clearly a hypocrite, because the first thing mentioned in his movie and lectures that people shouldn't own big houses. The key stat is not how the energy use of Gore's home compares to the average home, but a home of comparable size.

There is no indication the writer sought that information.

The Gores were traveling a lot in recent years to promote the film. With that done, I'm sure they've been home much more in the last year. Perhaps that resulted in the increased energy use, even with the greener changes. And, as mentioned, the home serves as office space, and they still may be receiving SS detail.

There is no indication the writer sought that information.

Because that might have spoiled his delicious pre-existing narrative.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Rich liberals are often hypocrites. This has been true for a long time. Not surprising at all, when it happens.

Don't understand the point of getting all tingly with delight about the "gotcha" factor in this story, however. Unless you hate Al Gore and love to see him look bad. In which case, go for it! That's what we need, less attention to actual issues, more GOTCHA moments.

The GOTCHA approach to politics, which is employed with equal cretinous vigor by both the right and the left, is a disaster. In a time when we are beset by numerous political, social and yes, environmental crises, in place of meaningful discussion and action about matters of importance, we get instead, more GOTCHA. It is a postmodern, shallow, juvenile way of appearing to engage issues while actually avoiding them.

Speaking of hypocrisy, both the left and the right decry the GOTCHA approach to politics when it's used against them, then turn around and employ it against their rivals. Admittedly, it's a tough game to stay out of when everyone else is playing.

Back to the topic: Let's say Al Gore uses more, perhaps way more, than his share of energy. OK, so what am I supposed to do now, join the Flat-Earth Society's Climate Change Denial Club? Al Gore's not my hero and I don't look to him for anything. I couldn't give a flying fuck whether Gore's a hypocrite or not. There are thousands and thousands of news items relevant to the environment and this isn't one of them. Next.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, the rationalization that is going on here is breathtaking.

He's a fucking hypocrite. Always has been.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nooooo, you don't say?

Al Gore a hypocrite?

Any psuedo-intellectual liberal elitist a hypocrite?

Nah, never........

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe, According to the AP story reference in that Snopes link, the last time this crap became an issue, the AP story pointed out that Gore's home is 4X the size of average home nationally. His home uses 12X the electricity of the average home in Nashville, though.

I don't care either way if his house is the energy guzzler it appears to be. It's amusing. What's also amusing is how much of a twist people will get in trying to rationalize it. Maybe he's just a guy living in a large, 80-year-old home that is entirely heated by natural gas, including a pool, a pool house and a separate guest house, and all the energy-efficient light bulbs in the world don't change that?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does the story indicate in any way how the electricity is generated? No, of course not. It does mention that he added solar panels. Maybe, just maybe, he's getting electricity from those? Nah, probably easier to scream that he's a hypocrite.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and we're back to the usual right wing braindead insult: "Gore's a hypocrite".

This is the same silly nonsensical bullshit that side of the room has been broadcasting since the Kennedy admin.

"How dare JFK lecture us about poverty when he comes from one of the wealthiest families in the US" Hypocrite.

"How could Pierre Trudeau know anything about social justice when he came from a well-to do Montreal family"? Hypocrite.

Can't you people come up with something new?

Gore's house is also an office--that's a well established fact.. How difficult is it for people to understand that offices use more power than houses? This is not a rationalization, but an explanation. Not a difficult difference to grasp.

But in the spirit of "Analysis--what is it good for?" , the right wing soldiers bravely on.

8. zagoshe

Yes it is unreasonable to expect the guy who spends every day demagoging about conservation and recycling as well as trying to shame people to be more environmental friendly and thinking green to, you know, think green and move into a more environmentally friendly house as an, you know, example of what he is talking about......

9. zagoshe

Exhibit A of the stereotypical psuedo-intellectual liberal hypocrite rationalizing the behavior of one of his own.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Excellent analogy. How dare JFK not take a vow of poverty! After all, he was telling everyone they should go live in cardboard boxes and live on ketchup packets.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Ragu, my parents-in-law's house is 3,500 square feet, and their monthly electric bill is more than three times what I pay in my 1,400-square footer. So I can see how the energy costs of a 10,000-square-foot house might be 12 times more than mine, which -- I believe -- is slightly larger than an "average" home.

An a 10,000 SF home owned by a former vice president is in no way an average 10,000 SF home. Again, no attempt was made to compare the energy use in Gore's home to those of comparable size. That is a glaring omission, whether the hate-Gore crowd admits it or not.

My point is that there are factors in play that the linked story does not discuss, nor was any attempt made to. If all the information is in, it might reflect badly on Gore. I have no idea.

But that is of no apparent concern to those who find it easy to toss around charges of "hypocrite" and "liberal elitist" as if they were beads at Mardi Gras.

Considering the batshit stuff you've posted in the last seven hours -- OBL offered on a silver platter! Lawsuits to keep Bush from taking office! -- you have no place judging anybody else.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not rationalizing anything. There is no attempt to offer any analysis to explain the numbers in the article--other than the only conclusion is he's obviously a hypocrite.

This is like saying, "So and so doesn't drink alcohol but holy shit, I just discovered there's a $500 purchase of wine and beer on his credit card. Fucking hypocrite. Oh, I forgot to tell you that So and So threw a huge party the other night and he bought it for his guests but that doesn't prove my point so I'll leave that out"

Draft saved Draft deleted