1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy used by Gore’s home in past year could power 232 homes for a month

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jun 18, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WHICH IS THE FUCKING POINT.

He went on this big "I'm going green!" rampage, and it turns out, it didn't do a damn bit of good.

THAT'S why these numbers matter.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The treehuggers aren't going to admit that IJAG.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

4. Armchair_QB

But George Bush hates black people!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's no analysis or context here and the numbers are in and of themselves meaningless.

Usually, when the numbers don't add up, there's a reason but the article doesn't do any of that because it likely wouldn't serve their purpose.

As jgmacg pointed out his "house" could in fact be an office which renders these numbers irrelevant.

However, there is a lot of silly rhetoric about Gore "scurrying" around and "global warming hysteria"

6. Armchair_QB

So basically Al Gore is murdering the planet.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which is why the numbers matter! :D

8. Armchair_QB

I think I'll follow Al's example and go out and burn a pile of asbestos right after I get done emptying a couple cans of hairspray.

Screw the grandkids. I'm cold now.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Grossly simplistic analysis. And not just because there are many ways to "go green" that this story conveniently did not address.

Sometimes you have to spend a dollar to save a dollar, spend a kilowatt to save a kilowatt.

I guarantee you Gore's message has been embraced by enough people around the globe to change their habits enough to make up for his personal "extra" energy use.

And isn't THAT the point? For the TOTAL amount of carbon emissions to decline?

10. Armchair_QB

So as long as all the little people are doing what he tells them he can pretty much not practice what he preaches.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6.5 billion is a lot of little people.

I'd settle for that.

Sure beats having Gore turn off all the lights, never set foot in a jet and never have anyone else hear his message.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Gore delivering his message to some of those 6.5 billion people?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted