1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy used by Gore’s home in past year could power 232 homes for a month

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jun 18, 2008.

1. I don't lean a particular way on the political spectrum. I just wanted to see some thoughts on this.

Link: http://tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=764

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hondo has no idea why he just darted for the keyboard.

And this WILL NOT end well.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's OK. He bought green energy credits to offset his footprint.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This just set the record for the oldest DB on SportsJournalists.com

We had this, um, discussion about oh, three years ago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You discussed Gore's home energy usage since June, 2007, three years ago? You're even more impressive than you say.

6. "For Immediate Release: June 17, 2008."

Apparently he made some changes since then. Not a d_b. Sorry.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm going to guess Gore's house is a little bigger than the average American home, which means the study doesn't mean shit. Hell, Bill Gates preaches environmental stuff and he has a ginormous house in Bellevue. Hell, Gates probably owns 15 houses throughout the world and combined they could power 7,412 of my apartments.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I believe Gore's house also serves as office space for some of his many projects. Office buildings take a lot more energy than most of us can fathom.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

First, I don't think the Tennessee Center for Policy Research can be described as non-partisan.

That said, does Gore use his home as his primary office space? If so, how many people work there? Does he still have a Secret Service detail on site?

The story, as posted, makes no effort to explore the nature of the energy use. Which of course is its intention.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gotta love the slanted headline.

Compare Gore's usage over a year to normal houses for a month . . . using a "month" so the number of houses sounds REALLY high.

Non-slanted headline:

Energy used by Gore's home in past year could power 19 homes for one year.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research was founded by a young fellow named Drew Johnson. From Sourcewatch.org:

Before founding TCPR, Johnson was a policy analyst at the right-wing-funded National Taxpayers Union Foundation (NTUF), the research arm of the National Taxpayers Union (NTU). [9]

In July 2004, while with NTUF, Johnson co-authored the economic policy study "Kerry's Fiscal Agenda 'Makeover' Won't Improve Budget Picture for Taxpayers" on Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's spending recommendations.

On an undated "Statement of Concern for Freedom in Russia" posted on the NTU website, the signatories—among which are Johnson, representing TCPR; Grover Norquist, of the conservative, tobacco industry-related Americans for Tax Reform; and Leonard Liggio of the conservative Atlas Economic Research Foundation—identify themselves as "representatives, of liberal think-tanks and movements".

Draft saved Draft deleted