1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy drinks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

New York Times reports that five people may have died in recent years after drinking Monster Energy. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/business/fda-receives-death-reports-citing-monster-energy-a-high-caffeine-drink.html?_r=0

Who drinks these? Do you find them helpful? Are you concerned about side effects?

I've started downing a Five Hour Energy each Friday evening to make it through covering football games, and find I stay alert. But, I crash for a three-hour nap each Saturday afternoon. Don't know if it's just being tired from the week or some kind of effect from the earlier caffeine jolt.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I prefer Monster over the other brands of energy drinks because it's the only one I've come across that doesn't taste like bad cough syrup. I've mainly drank those because I'm not a big coffee guy.

However, I have been making a point of weening myself off of them because of some of the scary things I read from time to time about these drinks. Of course, the fact they are readily available in our vending machines at work doesn't exactly help that cause.

One thing though: From the very start, I have made it a personal rule that I don't have more than one of these in a day. If I have one at work to perk me up, then I don't have another one until after I've woken up the next morning. By contrast, I had a co-worker who would down two or three of the Rockstar drinks during a single shift.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Rookie.

Monster drinks are 50 cents at my office. I have two before lunch, then Dr Pepper the rest of the day. I still yawn.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...have been in my kitchen. But no more. Grossgrossgross.

Just because

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Caffeine has the same impact on me... My doctor said that's usually a sign that I have ADHD.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The only energy drink I've ever had is 5-Hour Energy, and that's only on long road trips. Red Bull and the like scare the shit out of me.

7. imjustagirl

That would be the most unsurprising diagnosis in history for me.

8. imjustagirl

I only like Monster. The one with the yellow print (M-80, I think) tastes like pineapple juice. We only have the green (original) and the blue (low carb) in the machine at work. But for 50 cents for 16 ounces (2 for $4 at the gas stations), who's complaining??

9. Mizzougrad96

When I told my wife that the doctor had told me that, the "well, duh..." look she gave me was so priceless...

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I only mess with 5-Hour, partly because it contains a shit ton of vitamin B and less of the "energy blend" that other energy drinks have. I don't drink coffee or soda and am not affected much by caffeine, but 5-Hour does the trick. I'll use it to get through work for the day or to supplement a buzz on the weekend.

11. Mizzougrad96

I never got into any of the Monster drinks. I drank Red Bull for a few years and some of the Mountain Dew sponsored ones that were out there for awhile.

Now, I stick to black coffee and the occasional Diet Mountain Dew.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I drink coffee. Why would I try this crap?

Diet Coke and RC Cola are my other caffeine choices, and I have no desire to try these energy drinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted