1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The GF had to get up at 4:30 a.m. to catch a 6:30 flight for work. I was happy to get the extra hour of sleep.

2. dragonzo3

dragonzo3 New Member

Hillbillies, er, some of my wife's relatives still call it fast time and slow time.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Florida's like, end DST? How bout have it forevs?

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Beware extra early Sunday morning phone calls from grandma.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So now we have a state where it isn't recognized at all (Arizona), a state where it is recognized year-round (Florida), and who knows what the hell Hawaii and Indiana are doing anymore.

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

If it was up to me, just make DST the new standard time, and leave it at that.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree, but when it was tried one winter (73-74) because of the first energy crisis, parents went nuts that little Jenny and Jon had to wait for the school bus in the dark.

7. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I don't know if it has changed since then, but when I took my family to the Grand Canyon in 1989, the large parts of Arizona under federal jurisdiction, such as the reservations, did observe DST.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I looked back in my paper's archive and saw that back in the day each individual town decided when it wanted to start daylight saving time. The time in each town was like a patchwork quilt.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thumbs up just for the Chicago (actually, CTA) lyrics.

And for those of us in the Pacific time zone, we'll be four hours behind Florida during the winter? Great.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That is correct. My paper covered a handful of rez schools, which made the whole thing very confusing when you had to drive out that way.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’ve been told the Navajo Nation recognizes DST, but the Hopi Nation stays on Arizona time.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember an AP story some years ago about the confusing patchwork of time zones in Indiana. It was something like a half-dozen different time zones. You had the whole daylight savings thing, but there were also a handful of counties in northwestern and southeastern Indiana that stayed on Eastern or Central time all year because they were adjacent to bigger cities like Chicago and Cincinnati and their residents commuted.

Draft saved Draft deleted