1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I grew up in the U.P. and I think it's stupid for us to be in the same time zone as New York as well. My wife grew up on Central time and we are both Yoopers.

One funny thing...if the U.P. went to all Central, the local TV station would have to cut a news show. They do a 6 p.m. news for Marquette/Escanaba/Newbery and then a 7 p.m. edition, which was always known as the "6 p.m. news for Iron Mountain and Ironwood"

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Phenix City, Ala., which for years was infamous as the red light district for soldiers at Fort Benning, Ga., observes Eastern time since many of the people who live there work in Columbus.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yup, I remember driving through Phenix City once and noticing that every other store seemed to be a pawn shop or tattoo parlor.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've lived in each at one point or another in my life and I like the Mountain and Central the best. Events don't start too early (hated getting up at 5 am PDT to watch Wimbledon or 9am for college football) or end too late to make deadline.

Probably just a habit thing, but I like the late sunsets in the summer time up north and the early nightfall in the winter. Something about it just seems right.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It wouldn't be all that hard to adjust the school hours.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The last words that will ever be spoken on the CBC: "The world is ending at 10PM. 10:30 in Newfoundland".

jlee likes this.
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I once remarked that I lived in my own time zone... it was 15 minutes later than everyone else. Want me to be somewhere at 1 p.m.? Better tell me 12:45

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Phenix City was "Sin City" (almost) before Las Vegas was ... They even made a movie about it.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mountain time is virtually perfect, frankly, from a sports-watching standpoint. NFL at 11 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. NFL afternoon games over by 6 p.m. (and if you go to Broncos afternoon games, just long enough to tailgate and still able to get home at a decent hour). Sunday night and Monday night football at 6:30 p.m., done by 10 p.m. College football at 10 a.m. Big championship events at 6 p.m. (or 7 p.m. for the NBA Finals). Prime time from 7-10 p.m., not 8-11 p.m.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Sunday. I hate going to work in the dark. Mostly because it's fucking freezing.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The attorney general of Alabama (Albert Patterson) was shot to death outside his Phenix City law office in 1954 after promising to clean up the corruption there.

His son, John Patterson, took over as AG and was governor of Alabama immediately preceding George Wallace. It was John Patterson's defeat of the then-moderate Wallace with the KKK's backing in 1958 that encouraged Wallace to embrace segregation when he ran for governor again in 1962.

And that's your unsolicited Alabama history threadjack for today.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I hate winter hours because I end up waking before the sun is up and still being at work long after it has set. If I had to choose which I hate more, though, it is definitely waking in the dark. It's almost like my circadian rhythm is saying, "WTF? Even the sun isn't working yet. Go back to sleep."

Draft saved Draft deleted