1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I sit right on the border of a time zone. In the summer, it's like I live in the northern extremes of Alaska, the sun goes down so late. We're talking near 10 p.m. in June. I like to have sunlight, but that's insane.

Two time zones for the continental U.S.? Christ almighty, you'd have 11 p.m. sunsets in the Great Plains.

They need to reconfigure the time zones. I looked at a map the other day and noticed most of the UP of Michigan is on Eastern Time. That's idiotic. Just as idiotic is the fact that I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, but I can drive to the Florida Panhandle, a significant jog to the southeast, and be in the Central Time Zone.

Statehouse politics will never allow sense to take over of course.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Could be worse. You could live in Indiana.
    Apparently it's changed in recent years, but not long ago there were about a dozen different local times in the state. You had the Eastern and Central time zones. Then, the state didn't observe daylight saving time, which confused things even more. On top of THAT, some of the southeastern counties around Cincinnati were on Eastern time, while others next door were on Central time. Similar situations existed in other parts of the state, with parts of some towns split between the two time zones, people living in one and working in another, etc.
    It's a mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody got time for that.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We must be about the same age. I don't remember the year-round DST thing but I do remember the gas shortage and speed limit bitching. Didn't walk to school but did stand out in the cold waiting for the damn bus a lot.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I love the countries that are a half-hour off -- including India, Newfoundland and Venezuela.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-interesting.html

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Arizona stays on the same time all year long. During my four years there, was fine in the summer, when the state aligned with the Pacific time zone I grew up in, but would take me time to adapt in winter. Would have to stop and think when massaging agate and eventually got used to the "early" NFL game starting at 11 a.m., not 10 a.m. And with our deadlines, we'd always blow off every Suns, Arizona or ASU game played west of the Colorado.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I used to live near Atlanta which, going strictly by longitude, should be in Central time zone but is in Eastern because Georgia wanted the entire state in the same time zone. In midsummer it always seemed like sunset was well after 9 p.m.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I do live in Indiana. Hillbillies called it "fast time" and "slow time".

But it wasn't that hard to figure out. And I know of no towns that were split down the middle, at least in recent years. It's all done by the counties.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For some reason, I want to say parts of Mexico are something like 15 minutes off. Years and years ago, I covered a basketball tournament in El Paso and took a little day trip into Juarez and I seem to remember being really weirded out because the time difference was like an hour and 15 minutes.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When did Newfoundland get its independence?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Aw hell, who gives a shit what they call their "provinces" up there.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted