1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A reminder to set your clocks back this weekend for the vast majority of you.

I've said for years we should be on year-round DST. Move the clocks ahead and leave them there. The twice-a-year changing is ridiculous.

I came across this piece this morning from a purported economist who says not only should we end it, but the continental U.S. should go to two time zones one hour apart. This weekend, the East falls back an hour, Central and Mountain leave the clocks alone, the West jumps an hour.

It will never fly, of course, but it was still an interesting read.

http://bit.ly/1cu2iR9

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the theory is that if we stayed on Daylight Savings Time, kids would be going to school (and standing on street corners waiting for the bus) in the dark during the winter.

I live in the middle-eastern part of the Central Time Zone and it was dark until almost 7 a.m. today.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Daylight SAVING Time.

Geez.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It never made sense in the first place. I don't care if we stay on DST permanently. I can't stand changing the clocks twice a year. Messes up my sleep schedule for a week each time.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

DST was extended nearly year-round in '73-'74 during the freakout over the gasoline shortage. Protests were more vociferous than even the complaints about the 55 mph speed limit. Although the protest peg was "the safety of our precious children," the real reason, and it's a valid one, is that people really hate getting up and going to work in the dark. Sunrise today in Boston was 7:16 a.m. Year-round DST and it'd be at around 8 a.m. from mid-December to mid-January.
    America will go to the metric system before it tries this idea again.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd rather go to work in the dark and come home in the light any time.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They can pry my Central Time Zone from my cold, dead fingers. I enjoy having major events that end at a decent hour.

8. MileHigh

She loses the argument with this sentence:

And it would "cheat" people the most where the population is the highest -- the East Coast.

Interesting concept, but there are too many factors, self-interests and lobbyists to make it work.

Last year, there was a push for Colorado to go year-round on DST and the snow lobby got it killed before it got much traction in the legislature.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Getting rid of Mountain Time would be good, though. It's the Boise State of time zones, always wanting to be in a conversation where it doesn't belong.

10. MileHigh

Ha. I've lived in three of the four time zones and MST was by far the best.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was one of those "precious children" back then, and let me tell you walking to school in the dark was not a good thing.

It was a really bad idea.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Having lived in two states (Michigan and Idaho) that sit in two different time zones, I like the article MileHigh posted. No reason the lower 48 should have four different time zones.

But inertia is tough to beat.

Wasn't the school year calendar set up around an agricultural economy? See that changing anytime soon?

Draft saved Draft deleted