1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Endangered species list: Newspaper staff photographer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 22, 2014.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I work for a weekly with two papers that's owned by a daily, and we have a full-time photographer. Sometimes he pitches in for the daily, but for the most part, he works just for the two weekly papers. It is a coverage area of four towns though, and I believe in the past, they had at least a part-timer on as well, and it might have even been two full-timers. We also have a paginator who's a really swell photographer - he has a side gig working for a professional photo company - and I think he gets paid on a freelance basis, or is allowed to use photog hours to round out his time card. (He's on this board too, so maybe he'll chime in with his arrangement if he sees this topic.)

The last paper I was at, around the 2007 to 2009 time range, went from three full-time staff photographers to one full-time and two part-time in my time there. Now, they're down to one full-time and one part-time, with the part-timer or another person sometimes getting freelance stuff. The full-timer also used to get overtime back in the day, but that's gone by the wayside, even if it means sending the relatively inexperienced freelancer to a challenging assignment that will definitely be on the front.

Another weekly chain I used to work for pre-2007 tried to eliminate the full-time photog position entirely in 2010, going from one full-timer for six weeklies to just part-time and reporters taking photos. The full-time photographer was going to evenly split between photog and an "editing only" pagination job. They elevated him back to full-time after six months, because they were having too many production and news gathering issues with the arrangement.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, it's a lot of money no matter how cherished the photos are. You're paying the wedding premium, which seems to have about a 500 percent mark-up on everything.
    How much does the average person make a week? Around $700, if you're making $35,000 a year (and many are far less than that)?
    That photographer can rake in three to four times that for a week of work (one solid day of shooting, maybe a day of prep work, then two or three days of editing, formatting and packaging). That's a lot of money. If you can shoot three weddings a month, even with the cost of good gear, you can probably do very well for yourself.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was getting paid to do MY job. I wasn't getting paid to be the photographer too.

If they wanted to lay off all the professional photographers, they need to understand that meant no more professional photography in the newspaper.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You were getting paid by someone to do *A* job. If you don't want to do something someone paying you wants you to do, QUIT. But I think you should be ashamed that you accepted payment from someone, and in return you purposefully went out of your way to sabotage the product they were paying you to produce.

Your rationale is BS, by the way. You weren't demonstrating the difference between professional photography and what you are capable of. You posted that you purposefully took dull photos.

6. Baron Scicluna

He already was doing A job. They wanted him to do more than one, and, I assume, do it for free.

They already were paying him to do one thing, which he was doing with, again I assume, a level of professionalism. But they don't seem to care about paying to put out a quality product, so why should he care? He does his job and goes home.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you don't want to do what someone paying you wants you to do. ... QUIT. Nobody is forcing you to do that job.

He didn't quit rather than take photos. He didn't refuse to take photos and risk getting fired. Both would be valid responses, if he felt they had changed the parameters of what he had signed on for.

He said he took photos, but he intentionally did a shitty job. I find that shameful.

All of your rationalization about what "they" care about is bullshit. "They" cut the check you are accepting.

You don't have to accept their paycheck. If you don't believe in the publication they are asking you to produce, or you don't think the people you are working for are invested enough in the business -- you are free to quit. If you don't want to do what the person paying you asks (in any job) -- whatever your reasons -- you are free to quit.

Nobody was forcing him to work for them and accept their pay.

But once he did? Anyone who accepts a job's pay, should be ashamed if they purposely do a half-assed job.

8. You guys sound like fantastic employees.

When I write a story or take photo MY name is beside it. I sure as hell don't want to intentionally screw up my own work to get back at the "honchos."
    God knows I might need a another job down the road; writing, editing, taking photos, layout whatever ...

And ... learn as many skills as you can. Cross-training (in any industry) makes you more valuable than the fucksticks who ain't learning nothing new cause pay is the same.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When the "honchos" tell the writers that they need to take pics, too, then that BECOMES part of their job.

A job they can either continue at, or quit.

If I'm scheduled for a design shift and the slot asks me to pick up a story to copyedit, I don't intentionally do a half-ass job and write "Team wins game" as the headline just because I was asked to do more than "my job."

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My car needs an oil change, too, while we're adding duties to everyone's job.

Don't like it? Quit.

11. Baron Scicluna

It goes both ways. They are free to fire him if they don't like the job he does. They, from what he wrote, don't seem to care. They care that he shoots a photo. He shoots a photo. But they don't care about the quality of the photo, so why should he?

They got a bargain, actually. They paid for nothing more than what they were already paying, and they got a photo.

Professional pride is a wonderful thing, but it can be taken advantage of. The honchos care about the numbers, quality be damned. So did Starman. They want a photo. They got a photo.

12. Baron Scicluna

A brain surgeon gets toilet cleaning duties added to his job description. If he doesn't like it, he's free to quit the hospital.

Draft saved Draft deleted