1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End the War -- on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 14, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This bit is really coming together. Keep at it.

I love it when people say "Murricans". That shit is gold.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have no problem with working on Thanksgiving night. The family stuff happens during the day and by about 4 p.m. I've had my fill, both literally and figuratively. (However, should note that Thursday is typically my off-day anyway, so I probably would not be working.)

Christmas is pretty much the same, although everyone at the paper does get Christmas Eve off.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I was in the hockey bidness we played on Labour Day, Thanksgiving Monday, New Year's Eve (not a holiday, but still), New Year's Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. That was part of the deal when you work in the sports/entertainment field, you work when others don't , something a lot of our interns couldn't figure out, constantly bitching that they had to work holidays.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Funny enough, speaking of ad inserts, Easter Sunday is always the skinniest Sunday paper of the year.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love that I'm in your head.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's not just the need to buy things, some people need a place to go on holidays to get away from their families, I guess.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is professional comedy advice. Take it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You do realize that in some areas of the country, there are high school football games or, for the larger cities, professional sports played on Thanksgiving, right? And that, unless you want parents quoting their own kids in the story, you should probably have someone to cover the game.

9. Baron Scicluna

That's also because TV stations operate 24-7, and, unless they're going to run the same movie over and over again :))), they need programming. I would argue that, in an indirect sense, the TV workers are like journalists. The news, or in this case, the football games, don't stop just because of a holiday. Even though, like the retail stores, if the executives really wanted to, they could stop it. But they feel like they need the revenue.

Plus, the idea is that family can gather around the TV and spend quality time, such as it is, watching the game. Family members scattering to the nearest retail stores isn't quality time being spent together.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Calling a positive cash flow "black" is racist.

And going to a NASCAR race and shopping at Wal Mart on Thanksgiving night are two American experiences everyone should do once in their life. I'm serious about that.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh. Well, in that case, it's just like cops, firemen, and emergency room doctors working.

How you draw a distinction between the necessity of the daily paper and and retail is beyond me.

12. Baron Scicluna

News happens on holidays. Sales don't have to happen on the holidays.

Draft saved Draft deleted