1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End the War -- on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One store ran a circular yesterday listing Fall-oween deals. I think it was Hobby Lobby.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What I meant is that are the days when most working people could count on a day like Thanksgiving as a day off from work to spend with the family a thing of the past?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Most" working people?

There can't be more than 10 percent of the population working on Thanksgiving.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I too was scared that this might be about a movement to strip the Lions of their traditional hosting duties on Thanksgiving.

Can there be a war on Columbus Day, 'cuz Columbus day can fuck right the hell off.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know what all the fuss is. Thanksgiving was yesterday, eh?

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Even when I worked at the mall during my high school and college years, I was at least smart enough to work at a fast food joint without a breakfast menu.

That said, my best shot at finding a job after two years is lying my ass off to Best Buy about being able to stand up for a full shift. What, a guy with a cane can't run a cash register? If I get the job, I'm sure I'll be working on Thanksgiving.

And, lastly, I'll admit that I was one of those Black Friday people, but it was much worse. I went to JC Penney for the free Mickey Mouse Christmas ornament. I would get it, wander around the mall for another hour or two, then go home. Didn't buy a damn thing. It's sick, I know.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I did the Black Friday shopping thing once. Once.

The list that year included computers for the kids and the prices were too good to pass up. But after that experience, I can truthfully say I will never, ever do that again. I don't care if they're giving away HD TVs and laptops for free, I'm not going.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is how the free market handles holidays. Don't like it, take it up with capitalism, you commie.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Canadian Christmas in November?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Now we're diving families on Thanksgiving and splitting up tradition dinners. I'm telling ya, this "Market" guy is a real asshole.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Funny stuff. You could probably get a whole routine out of this.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If I was him, I'd only perform it once, do this, and declare myself a success.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted