1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of year and decade stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

You would be correct Ace. The decade we're in right now started Jan. 1 of this year and ends Dec. 31 2019. A list of the best stories of the decade running this year makes no sense. It would be like running a story on the best stories of the 1970s in December of 1980.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

People don't seem to realize that there, in fact, was a Year 0.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Happens every century. Just did an SJ archive search and there was a similar thread at the end of 1910...

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And at the end of 1909.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Doc Brown said so when he was demonstrating the flux capacitor.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, we've seen the ultimate extension of this argument when it turned from 1999 to 2000. A bunch of academics and others were really pissed off that we were talking about the end of the millenium then, too, and insisted it was really on December 31, 2000.

But the calendar turning from '99 to '00 was the big deal to most, and that's the way you have to deal with it, no matter what's "right."

Accordingly, we did our limited decade-end things this year to mark the end of the '00s. And we'll do our next ones in 2020 to mark the end of the teens.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Both are correct. Pedants can suck it.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I just did my top 10 stories of the year. One of the top 10 stories was about a group of 10-year-old boys who won a PONY Mustang World Series. The high school teams in my area didn't win a whole lot of championships. A girls cross country team won its fifth state title in a row. A junior college soccer team played in a state championship game and lost.
    Aside from that, the Mustang baseball team was one of the most successful teams in the area. I have no problem putting the team in the top 10 stories of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted