1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of year and decade stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any nominations for best stories of the decade? I'm looking for off-beat stories. I guess the danger is we out ourselves because a simple Google search can determine where these stories come from.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One more year's worth of news to go before writing a proper end-of-decade story.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why am I not surprised this was the first comment?

Henry, you know you have a valid point, but I also think these "decade" lists have morphed into "Best stories of the last 10 years, where the first year is xx00 and the last is xx09."

Do you think anyone will do decade lists next year?

5. HejiraHenry

OK, then, let's see you make a valid point.

6. HejiraHenry

Bearing in mind, there ain't no Year Zero.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yesterday at midnight was the end of the decade known as the '00s. 364 days from now will be the end of the first decade of the 21st century.

Both are valid markers for "end of the decade" stories.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

Do your stories of the decade next year and you look like a moron.

9. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

How do you handle the parent that thinks the local 13-14 year-old baseball team winning the state Teener title should rank in the top 10 stories for the year?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought 2009 was the end of the decade.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That depends. Is it?

If not, just tell them that you'll take their advice under consideration, thank them for the interaction and pick the top 10 stories based on whatever standards you/your staff have created.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There ought to be a shrine to the newspaper editor who "invented" the year-end list/wrap-up story.
    How else would papers be able to fill their pages while still allowing people who "wrote" these stories in early December time off around the holidays?

Draft saved Draft deleted