1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of the Internet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I read a lot of advertising trade journals and media research journals these days. Here's the salient fact that has everyone paralyzed with fear. Internet advertising rates are collapsing. The ad networks that serve as their media buying services are in danger of going under. The smarter folks in these businesses, and there are some smart ones, are beginning to wonder if Internet advertising revenue isn't a mirage, that it will never support content providers the way print, radio, and TV advertising did.

2. This is the living embodiment of the joke about the little girl selling lemonade for "a million dollars a glass."
    The punch line is: "I only have to sell one."

3. Which may be how high-end, high-effort, high-overhead content on the internet will be pushed finally toward a subscription model like cable television.

4. Michael_ Gee

I agree ZV. But there will be a lot of pain from here to there.

5. Exactly right. The race now is to see which institutions (NYT, WP, et al.) can be sustained on life-support until a new business model arises.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The barn door is open and the horses are gone. The masses will never pay for internet content from individual sites. There will always be enough free stuff or content that is provided by internet providers at no additional cost.

The day places like Slate start charging is the day they lose readers in mass.

7. OK.

Explain Rivals.com.

8. Michael_ Gee

Slate is not content I would pay for. The Times and Wall street Journal are another matter.
    The simplest means of charging would be to fold information service charges into the service provider bill. I'm paying Verizon for so many different uses, a subscription for information fee would hardly be noticed.
    If consumers don't think news is worth paying for, but Showtime is, then screw 'em. Our society is doomed anyway.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't need anymore than the free stuff that rivals provides

10. You don't. I don't. But people buy up the subscriptions like crack.

11. Guys, the advertising model newspapers use worked for centuries. Why wouldn't it work now on the Internet, which can be done more cheaply than in print?

12. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

"Word bitch, Phantoms like a Ma'fucker!"

Draft saved Draft deleted