1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of the Internet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Had the "privilege" of sitting in on a managers meeting today. It was loosely discussed that our chain may soon be giving up on the internet — not giving up, but making less of an effort to feed the thing.

Word is our paper made gains in profit on the internet — but only in the "thousands of dollars" range. Word also is that the print product generated more revenue than anticipated.

Our ME's quote: "This internet push is about two steps away from being taken out behind the woodshed."

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That's forward thinking.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Frederick's resume in the mail.

4. What the fuck is the Internet?

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, speaking as an Internet guy, you know what? This might be exactly the right decision for this paper at this time.

6. At some point papers need to cut their losses and forget about the Web if they can't generate revenue that way. Had a conversation today with some ex-co-workers about the idea of charging for content on our college beat, and apparently the woman in charge of the Web freaks out every time someone brings this idea up, going on and on about how we "need hits." She thinks that the idea of charging for content indicates that the person endorsing it is an unindoctrinated rube. I think that if you can't turn content into profit, what's the point?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A move to give up on the Internet would depend on if online users can get the same news for free anywhere else. Plus the market for online versus print could be completely different.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Waylon, this ain't you, but I really, really wish people would talk about needing hits. It simply isn't something anybody who knows anything about the web worries about anymore. Not just "hits."

Page views important? Yes. Unique visitors? Yes.

Not hits.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

:D

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not to mention time spent on the site.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised smaller news sites haven't merged ops, formed a regional network, pooled info and split any profits. Yahoo and Google can cherry pick headlines, but a regional site might keep the Internet effort afloat.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was waiting for someone to post that.

Draft saved Draft deleted