1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of the decade stories. A question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 20, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We are talking about doing an end of the decade package at my shop.

And we get into when is the end of the decade argument.

I contend the decade ends at the end of this year. A copy editor argues that it is actually 2010 when the decade ends and the new decade starts in 2011.

I say, "so you mean 1990 was actually in the 80s?" and he says that technically that is accurate. I, of course, think this is the stupidest thing ever and thinks this goes back to the douchebag arguments on when the century ended. If it was 2000 or 2001.

I'm one of the nimrods that believes the new century started Jan. 1, 2000 and not 2001.

I'd go on for much longer, but I have some Nyquil in me and it is starting to hit.

So what say you, when does the decade end?
  2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

For our purposes, we're using 2000-09.
  3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The argument goes we don't start counting from 0 to 9, we start from 1 to 10. Following that logic, the decade started in 2001 and ended in 2010. For the more practical, a decade starts at 00 and ends in 09. For the next decade, it will start in 2010 and end in 2019, and so on. It makes more sense, but technically, it's not the way we count to 10.
  4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For common-sense purposes, what most people think of as the first decade of the 21st century ends in 11 days.

But technically, the decade ends on Dec. 31, 2010. Otherwise, there's some 9-year decade out there getting short-shifted. :D

You might want to include an editor's note, similar to how Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog is handling its end-of-decade lists: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-10-most-embarrassing-hockey-moments-of-the-l?urn=nhl,209936.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Those who want to think Dec. 31, 1990 was the last day of the 1980s can go right ahead and confuse the hell out of everyone. I'll pass. The years that end with the same two numbers are lumped into one decade to me, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Those who want to be technical like that probably think George Brett's home run in 1983 wouldn't have happened if he didn't have all that pine tar on the barrel of the bat. Technically, he broke a major equipment rule, you know.
  6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's a really dumb analogy.

No, you don't have to apologize for it -- that's the way most people think and you won't confuse your readers if you write "end of decade" stories in every year that ends in 9. Just realize that, at some point, you're saying there was a decade back in time with only 9 years. Which makes even less sense -- at least to anyone who understands basic arithmetic -- than the Eighties ending in 1990.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A decade ends every second of every day. There is no single correct answer out of the two, so going by popular opinion makes sense.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot.

The decade that lasted nine years probably was 1 A.D. to 9 A.D. If using the birth of Christ as the year that the A.D.'s began, you can use year 1 (although some historians believe Tebow was born in 4 A.D. or thereabouts.)

Except for Doc Brown in the DeLorean, you never hear of a 0 A.D. Supposedly, time goes from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D.

Or, it might just be too early in the morning for me to be thinking of this.
  9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When you teach a child how to count and number groups in sets of 10, you start with 0 and you end with 10.

0.0 is part of 0-10 and 9.99 is part of 0-10. 10.0 starts the next set of 10 numbers.

10.0 - 19.99 is the next set
    20.0 - 29.99 is the next set
    30.0 - 39.99 is the next set

When the tens column rolls to the next highest interger, you have a new set of ten.

0.0 - 99.99 is a set of 100
    100.0 - 199.99 is the next set

Does this help?
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Years are one of the few things counted backward as they go forward.

So, you don't start with zero, you end with it. The modern calendar is based on the birth of Christ, which was a not a fixed point in time. Historians just took their best guess, and then counted backwards, to get to the event.

At least that's my argument.
  11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hell, this goes back to the whole millenium business.

When we were counting down to Jan. 1, 2000, a lot of people said we were all wrong: The second millenium, they said, didn't end until the last second of Dec. 31, 2000. They all gave me a headache, and I stopped listening. It's all how you count your milestones, but however you slice it, it was a big deal going from the 1900s to the 2000s.

For my purposes, it's simple:

00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09

That's 10 years. That's a dec-ade.

Jan. 1, 2010 begins the next one.

But if you want to count it a different way, best I can tell, nobody gets hurt anyway.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that decade was 1-9 A.D.

Don't want to have a year called "0"? Fine. Then you get nine years in your decade so all the subsequent ones don't look stupid.
Draft saved Draft deleted