1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of the Boo-yah Era at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Sep 11, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I did catch that on youtube. Boomer was so brazen to say it in front of Marino, I thought Dan was going to leap over and beat his ass.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No joke. That gave me flashbacks of watching Marino maniacally berate his receivers, offensive line, backs or whoever for sucking like they did.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Point, now that you brought it up, I remember the blowout loss to Jacksonville in the first round of the playoffs. Reporters at the post-game questioned Marino and he lost it and said "You wouldn't know, would you?" I was hoping Jacksonville would put another score up to shut him up.

Several days later, the message already on the wall, he retires.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I recall Cellini having a show of that type, different from Sports Tonight, which aired at 1:30 a.m. ET or so.

5. Only difference is that most of the "talent" appears to be under 18.

And I was a Hick 'n Nick CNN Sports Tonight junkie as well (the originators of the "Play of the Day", which ESPN of course has ripped off, x10).

Today's fun fact/possible fact: according to Wikipedia, "Hickman converted to Judaism in 1990, taking the name, Shmuel ben Avraham."

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So, we can count on seeing Stuey serving in the Tarheel Gift Shop, sometime soon?

7. This thread is fascinating. I thought I was the only one turned off by the blatant reverse racism prescribed by ESPN. If Whites and Blacks both understand grammar to some extent, and Blacks understand hood-speak and Whites don't, how is that not reverse racism?

Whoever made the point: "ESPN is to sports = MTV is to music" is brilliant. For a while, VH1 carried the MTV torch after MTV ghettofied. Behind the Music, concerts, etc. The second Surreal Life aired on VH1, there it went, too.

I'm interested in the next step for ESPN. Do they create ESPN Street? That would be something.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Great post. Welcome.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Great post, and great name.

Well if you read our latest post, the next move may be no more Whitlock at the .com. Just in the rumor stage, though. And the overweight lova can thank his boy Scoop Jackson for that.

We'd start a thread on it, but FB's complaining about it has us banned from starting threads with links to our posts.

So someone else will have to do it, or perhaps just wait for it in the papers tomorrow.

10. Yes, fabulous post.
    White suburban kids don't understand hip-hop culture or slang.
    Must be why those records never sell.
    And, by the way, "ghettoized" is really racist as most black people do not live in ghettos. Pass it on.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, everyone knows black is cool and white isn't. Where have you been?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We honkies aren't worthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted