1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of the Boo-yah Era at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I guess Irvin got his cousin's crack pipe back.

2. Man, those were awful!
    Salisbury routinely abused Clayton.
    They could had Salisbury discuss his Hall of Fame candidacy and he would have come out ahead of Clayton. I like John Clayton, but Salisbury crushed him on that segment.

3. Threadjack here...

Did anyone watch the "Boomer disses Marino" clip option that pops up at the end?
    I really think Boomer meant no harm, but Marino -- in the last few seconds -- looks pissed!!
    It's a 25-second clip ... interesting.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I like Scoop Jackson.

Just wanted to say that.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why?

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I have dissed ESPN to coworkers and friends for several years. I miss the old days when Nick Charles and Fred Hickman used to compete with the WWL on CNN Sports Tonight. 9/11 ended that. It was at that point CNN went to more news coverage and Sportsnight went the way of Speedy Alka Seltzer.

ESPN is the biggest self promoter in the business. Why it's been able to reproduce itself into more and more pewtrid crap has been beyond belief in my opinion. Whoever brings it back to being a sports network has my most sincere gratitude and congratulations.

But I'll believe it when I can watch again with cringing.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Didn't Sports Tonight already have a foot in the grave by the time 9/11 happened? I think that's about the time they had Vince Cellini as host and changed the format to more of a sports-talk style.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hickman and Charles have been gone a lot longer than five years, IIRC. Jeez, I remember watching them as an alternative to sportscenter as far back as 1984.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Um, Irvin is never "tolerable" in this house.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I don't care if it lacked politically correctness or sensitivity. That had me laughing.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Fuck political correctness. That was flat-out hysterical.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

That may be so. I just remember it never coming back after that. I don't remember it being gone beforehand, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. I just thought it was the only real alternative to ESPN at that point, or before as you said, and still is the only thing close. I liked it more and used to watch their NBA show at 10:30 Sundays after Sports Tonight. Their Plays of the Year show was always a favorite in our house.

FOX's dungheap doesn't come close to competing with The WWL. Where is the competition??

Draft saved Draft deleted