1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not tormenting you.. hell, I can find other ways to do that.. just sticking up for keeping the thread open.

Basically, radio guy apologized and is getting beaten up/defending from those saying bullshit/enough....

Some of us aren't finished beating the dead horse yet, ya know?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

mod, with all due respect, the first thread never should've been locked up. 8) 8) 8)

3. moddy, jeff darlington has few supporters more loyal than yours truly... but based on what gets said on this board on a daily, there was no reason to lock the thread. there's an idiot (sportsbruh) who routinely posts racist stuff about me and we never get close to locking the thread. given what mizzougrad tried to do to jemele hill, the locking of the thread is/was hypocritical.... you guys need to develop some consistency or at least have mizzougrad define who is and who isn't "one of our own."

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah, shock, it should have. The guy who asked me to do so is golden and, what I saw, it should have been done long before I did it.
    This one? Not yet.
    And that's it slappy? I want a point by point from the start.

5. Moderator1

Jason, as I've told many others: It's a big board. We try to be lots of places. We miss stuff. All we need is a PM and any of the "brass" will go check out any thread. Honest.

6. moddy, i'm for letting people say whatever they want. i ain't crying.

there's just a blatant double-standard on what makes certain people think stuff is out of line.

7. Moderator1

I wouldn't call it a double standard. I would call it either finding some stuff on my own or being made aware of it or whatever. Gutter, Webby and I don't all think the same way. Neither do you or other posters. And, yeah, there are a few posters on here who have proven over time, to me anyway, that they have a clue. When they tell me there's a problem, I know there's a problem.
    Ask Jemele, who I know and like. I've nipped a bunch of stuff about her that I've found offensive.

Jason, it would be great if we could trust people to say whatever they want. Many can't be trusted with that. Not on here anyway.

And I STILL don't have my catchup!!

8. Moderator1

Did Darlington get suspended? How long?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just off Super Bowl coverage, from I think Thursday through Sunday, but don't hold me to it. He definitely was off the game tonight.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Suspended for what? He obtained confidential information and got a big scoop out of it.

PROFESSIONALLY Alzugaray did nothing wrong. He was given secret info and reported it. If you're worth your salt as a reporter, you've probably obtained confidential info and gone with it, too. Somebody else on the dissemination end probably got in trouble for it, but should you get suspended?

Alzugaray's mistake was a PERSONAL ONE that will impact how he his viewed by others in the journalism business, the people he must face on a daily basis. He should be villified by his peers and never trusted on those grounds, but if I'm his boss I'm happy with the story he broke and certainly wouldn't suspend him. How did he hurt our company? If I'm his boss, my only concern would be the consequences of how it affects his coverage from here on out, not any sorrow for Jeff Darlington, my competition.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Not true, blondebomber. According to the information on the other thread, Alzugaray did make a professional error. He knew the Saban quotes were off the record.

The length of time it took Alzugaray to apologize makes me think he is only doing so because he is under siege from other reporters for getting Darlington in trouble. It sounds like he only is saying sorry because of the professional backlash he's getting. The station's lack of action makes it clear it is not unhappy with him. No one should be surprised by that, since it's probably getting a ton of publicity for airing the tape.

I do feel badly for Darlington. He got burned badly here by a (supposed) friend, but, unfortunately, he must accept the consequences. Two years ago, a writer I'm close with was brutally ripped by a coach in a ridiculous email exchange. The writer was really upset, and I asked to see the emails. He gave them to me. I still have them. I've never sent them to anyone else, never showed them to anyone else. I can't imagine violating anyone's trust like that. But I do think such a thing is not only a violation of personal ethics, but professional ones as well.

If I can say one thing to Gregg Doyel and Jemele Hill -- neither of whom I've ever met -- it would be this: We should consider oursleves very lucky that we are secure enough in our positons that we can post under our real names. In a perfect world, no one would need a pseudonym. But this is not a perfect world, and most of the good information on this board -- there is plenty of it -- could not be posted because there would be serious consequences.

People like myself, the two of you and Jason Whitlock are not any better than anyone else just because we use our real names.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is better than a whole week of "As The World Turns."

Draft saved Draft deleted