1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ewwww. you want a guy to do THAT to you? :p

wait... that's not what you mean, is it?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sure if/when he decides to apologize, it will be because he wants to and not because you brow-beat him into it. You have an exaggerated sense of your own importance.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Darlington made a mistake and is paying the price. Not only apologizing all over the place, but he got suspended off the Super Bowl coverage.

Alzugaray ... apologizes. Four days after the fact. Where's HIS suspension?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hate to help the jerk, Piotr, but this actually was from our own dear mizzougrad96:

No, it's MIZZOUGRAD96 who is above the menial tasks of the profession. :)

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's too bad, especially since his point about half the people was likely a pretty strong exaggeration.

Darlington isn't Jayson Fucking Blair. He's a (young) dude who made a reckless decision that showed a complete lack of guile. "Hey, if I forward this tape of a big-name coach to my radio buddy, I can trust him to not play it!"

If you're gonna share something, A. share it by playing it for the buddy, don't send him a copy, for Pete's sake; B. Make sure that radio geek who is your buddy knows that under no circumstances is this to go anywhere but between the two of you.

I would think Darlington did B. And was burned. So I'll join the chorus that says Darlington has suffered enough (though I understand the need for some to see a head roll over this, since it shows a total lack of good judgment that frankly should have been learned in college. Because if we do make mistakes, that's where they happen). Public humiliation for a journalist is pretty tough.

But I'll also join the chorus calling for the head of the radio guy. Darlington recklessly trusted him, and that guy is sleaze. Fire his ass.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

YOU PEOPLE!!

(okay, you can lock it now.)

7. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

I didn't realize Sean Salisbury was a Mizzou grad. He pulls the "if you've never been in the NFL you'd never understand" crap that Mizzou pulled.

I've never covered an NFL team like Darlington, so maybe I just don't get it, but I do think he and the radio fool made mistakes that made the profession look bad. But that isn't the end of the world or of their careers. Sincere apologies were needed, but how they go from here to repair their mistakes (essentially doing things the right way from here on) will be the far more telling story about this incident and about these guys.

I have to say I come away from all of this with a lower opinion of Mizzougrad96's stupid comments than I do of what Darlington or Alzugaray did, and I don't even take prep agate.

8. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

OK, maybe not lower than the radio guy.

9. dude, based on your histronics on darlington and your attack on hill, you come off as a hypocrite. at least the radio hypocrite could admit he was wrong. all of this "death threat" mumbo jumbo is just that, mumbo jumbo... cowards write and say all sorts of stuff. reporters/writers don't get attacked.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, been a bit behind for a variety of reasons. Someone give me a point-by-point synopsis here, as brief as possible, of the events in question. I locked the other thread because one of the most trusted members on here indicated it was past time. So I'm just getting caught up.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, this hasn't got nasty -- yet. And there's no reason, in my mind to lock it...
    This is supposed to be a free exchange of ideas and thoughts... and the request to lock the last one came from the person who started the thread if memory served...

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, no it didn't. And I'm not locking this one. I just asked for some play-by-play to get caught up. That's all. Sheesh, when did YOU become my tormentor? Isn't one enough?

Draft saved Draft deleted