1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of LSU-UT game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Les Miles and LSU football go together like gumbo and rice. They compliment each other so nicely.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK; as an official, I can tell you without a doubt that the flag for 12 men (or more) on the field should have been BEFORE the snap.

As a backjudge, if you have to throw the flag to the gawd-dam moon, come in with whistles blaring.....
    HUGE difference between Illegal Substitution and Illegal Participation.....(not in this case.........either way it would have been half the difference to the goal..........) but my point still being is if you have Illegal Substitution, you throw the flag before the snap.

In college, the three officials in the back (back judge and two side judges) all give each other the thumbs up after they are done counting the defense.

In high school, the back judge gives the referee the thumbs up after counting the defense, and the umpire and referee give each other the thumbs up after counting the offense.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

unless you're in a six man system, then the field and side judge give the thumbs up to each other for the defense and the referee and the umpire give a thumbs up to each other for the offense. There would be no back judge.

But you're right, the flag should have been thrown. Given the situation with the players running all over the place, that might not have been possible. I know that I have counted 12 before and to make sure I'm not going crazy, I count again quickly. I can't imagine if I got to 13. I would have thought I was out of my mind.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Never seen a 6-man crew.

Seen 3,4,5,7..never a 6.

So, in a 6, you eliminate the back judge, but keep both side judges, both field judges, the r, and the u?

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

6 man is standard in nfhs. Most states can't afford it so they go five.

You have an r, a u, hl, lj, sj, and fj. Oh and in ga an eco.

Draft saved Draft deleted