1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of an era in Tucson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tenacious_g, Dec 29, 2007.

1. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

It was announced today (at least in print) that budget cuts will lead to the end of the weekly sports column by Corky Simpson at the Tucson Citizen. He's been a sports columnist for 32 years, and a damn good one.

Corky retired from the paper a year ago as a full time staffer, but has been writing a Saturday column each week since. The publisher at the paper announced today in his weekly column that budget cuts will lead to Corky's column (and another regular columnist) being discontinued on Jan. 5.

Today, Corky wrote an excellent column on being a sports journalist.

<a href="http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/sports/72753.php">Corky: It's the writers covering sports I miss the most</a>

Not sure how many people here know Corky or his work, but to those that did, he'll certainly be missed.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I worked with him for a time. Good guy.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I went on 4 Pac-10 Skywriters Tours with him and really enjoyed his company. Kind of ties in with what that column was about, missing being with sportswriters. Some thought he was kind of crusty and contrary, but I enjoyed him and he always treated me well.
    Aside: Must have been '92, he was the only AP football voter to have Alabama No. 1 all season and he was feted when the Crimson Tide won the national championship.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Very cool history note with that aside, SC-Dude.
    Good luck to this guy. Hopefully he's a golfer and can spend lots of days with rounds (perhaps some even comped) at the many Az. courses surrounding him

5. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Who announced these budget cuts?

Is there a link? I sure can't find anything on the Citizen's Web site.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I found this at the bottom of Corky's column.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

there's not enough scribes anymore with names like Corky

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

A fine bit of work. I know the name, but hadn't read anything of recent vintage. This was nice.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Probably not a good sign for the industry too.

Here's a paper cutting something that readers like (I would imagine that's the truth, but don't know for sure) to save a few pennies.

And I'd bet it really is only a few pennies the paper is saving. I mean, he was retired, so he wasn't getting a full salary.

10. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Here is the column announcing it from the paper's publisher:

<a href="http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/opinion/72711.php">Chihak : Papers chase change, but change always wins</a>

... a column about changes in the coming year and the two columnist cuts are at the bottom.

And I was told once Corky was asked to be grand marshal in Alabama's victory parade after the season-long No. 1 vote story in 1992.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Pretty laughable for the publisher to drop in that tired ol' left wing/right wing red herring, even as just a passing reference.

Your paper is in trouble because it's owned by Gannett, buddy. Too many years or wringing out a 24 percent profit margin when everyone else was doing quite fine with 15 percent.

Years of overly aggressive cutting left nothing marginal to slash once real problems started confronting the industry early this century.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So you have a commitment to local news, yet you drop two local-flavor columnists. Oh, and we can't forget those space cuts, either.

Stay classy, Gannett. Gotta keep those high profit margins, ya know. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted