1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Empty suits pack Marlins game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

So basically Florida baseball fans are the shittiest out there?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'd make that argument. Not saying citizens absolutely must support bad baseball and not defending the management of those franchises, but at the end of the day the fan support isn't exactly overwhelming. It's a spring-training state, not a regular-season state.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That photo is just unbelievable:

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a major-league game going on down there.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm as big a baseball fan as there is, but going to a Nats-Marlins game in September in 90 degree heat? I wouldn't go either.

And though I've only been there for football, the location and ambiance of that stadium doesn't help. It's a football stadium, not a baseball park.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

And both complaints are absolutely true.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you live in South Florida, you're pretty much used to the heat. I've heard the real problem is the frequency of rain delays they have there. That's the real reason they need a roof.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

Problem with the roof theory is that the D-Rays draw nearly as badly as the Marlins. Two worst supported MLB teams every year are the two Fla franchises, one plays outside the other in a climate-controlled dome. Tends to suggest that the source of the problem is not really the stadium or the weather, its just Florida itself. For whatever reasons, Floridians have little interest in supporting an MLB team.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Aren't the Jai-alai games packed everynight?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Portland, baby, Portland.

According to the NWS, about 75 and sunny at game time. Anyone who has spemt a summer in the PNW knows it's just about the best weather in America from June-late September.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. They'll come up with every excuse in the book. My experience came from years in Tampa, where fans complained about the roof, the drive from Tampa to St. Pete (puh-leeze), the fact that Tropicana Field had nothing entertaining around it (so what?), etc. Yet the Yankees and Red Sox fans with Hillsborough County (Tampa) plates managed to get to St. Pete and fill the place when those teams were visiting.

Sadly, Tampa's Jai-Alai closed about five years ago. There are frontons still open from Ocala to Miami but often the crowds look like that Marlins game.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I wonder this too because I can find cheap flights to Fla. all the time and would love to go down and see an MLB game up close for basically no cost.

12. Um, yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there[lumberg]

Have you seen the Devil Rays' record? There's been a ton of stories on "what's wrong with the crowds in Tampa Bay and Miami" but I think it's a combination of the "bad team" and "bad weather" reasons.

People who have never lived in Florida in July and August have no idea what it's like. It's not just rather sunny and uncomfortable out. It's literally hell on earth! There's no way I would subject myself to that 81 times a year -- and I love baseball.

Some morons in Tampa want to build a new open-air stadium. What? They'd go from 12,000 fans a game to, well, what the Marlins are getting now.

I still think if the Devil Rays had a better team, they'd draw better. Look at the Lightning. They were one of the league leaders in attendance after the team started playing better.

Of course, the only way to prove my theory would be if the Rays started winning. Which, well, you know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.