1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Employers asking applicants for Facebook, Twitter passwords

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 21, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had an interview yesterday. They did not ask for my password. I probably would have laughed if they had.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You can have my password. You can have access to my MySpace, Friendster, Netflix, Google+, Spotify and Twitter. You can look at my 8th-grade yearbook. You can make me turn my head and cough. You can ask me to do whatever I want because:
    1. If I'm interviewing, I either need a job or need to leave a current awful job and have no room to argue.
    2. I have nothing to hide on any social platform that would keep me from getting that job.

Just don't ask me for any clips from the past few years because I've really been phoning it in for awhile.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, given what I do on Facebook, I'll just bring the dog to work.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My wife just got an e-mail from one of their employees, giving their notice. As in, won't be in tomorrow or ever again. And this is for a job that requires a college degree and experience to begin with. The reason was because they've been working too many hours and never see their family. It's a job where they are able to take a work-supplied laptop and work from home, with no set hours or office hours required.

I understand employees' rights and all, but with things like this happening more and more all over the place, I'm gaining more sympathy for employers' rights, too. Not trying to be all old guy screaming to get off my lawn, but if I ever thought of doing something like this, my father's boot would be a permanent part of my ass.

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

OUTING ALERT: BurnsWhenIPee is Eric Forman.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tell her I'm available. :D

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fine. Somebody else will, and probably for a lower wage and crappier benefits than you, too.

The miracle of the marketplace.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Cupofrottenrice.com is available. So tempted to pull the trigger for Starman's secret Santa.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What's the etiquette on finishing on a prospective employer's grill(e)?

10. BurnsWhenIPee

I was thinking more like Frank Barone.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is the complaint valid? It's not exactly paradise to be expected to work at all hours. I don't want to answer emails or text messages just because the boss has nothing better to do on a Saturday morning.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

I don't think so. They aren't "on call" per se, but are just expected to put in their 40 hours of work at some point and in some location during the course of the week. If they want to work 5 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday through Friday and be completely off the rest of the week, that's fine.

There are people there who have children who don't even have to mess with child care during the summer break, because they fit their work schedule in around everything going on at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted