1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Employers asking applicants for Facebook, Twitter passwords

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know it's not the actual meaning of the law, but in these "Right-to-Work" states, I'd like to see someone laid off from their job sue the employer, and claim they're violating their right to work.

"We have to let you go. Our CEO wants a bigger bonus."

"Go ahead, but you're violating my constitutional rights."

"What? How so?"

"We're now in a right to work state. You're violating my right to work and earn a living."

If nothing else, maybe a few of those lawsuits would get the legislators to change the names of the laws to something else so they're not lying to the public.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much dirt will be in my rice bowl?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many of you would, or have, willingly taken a drug test or a polygraph as a condition of employment?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are laws against polygraph tests for the vast majority of workers. Drug tests are a bit sketchy for most businesses as well, but drugs are illegal and making a dumb post on Facebook isn't.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with your wife. I did the same when I was an editor. I would also not be surprised by the same if I were interviewing for another job.

That said, I would consider being asked for my password as problematic as being asked for my age, which happened in interviews to me twice.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldn't be, but I am totally floored that someone would ask for a password for anything.

The thought of coughing it up creeps me out, and I don't even had a FB or Twitter account.

There is no way my password is an employer's business. Even the thought of being asked to log on during an interview is an invasion of privacy.

I would be too stunned to react, honestly.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? Are you hiding something you don't want to be seen on FB or Twitter? If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear?

At least that was the meme when they wanted to check all the brown people's papers to see which of them were here illegally. Don't know why people would object to this now.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Done nothing wrong. Nothing to fear."
    - Zombie patriot

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They can have my password, I don't care. It's simple, too:

Ih8myBoss

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

If I was looking for a job and potential employers kept asking for my facebook password, I would simply just delete my facebook account and tell them I don't have one. Not that there's anything on there that incriminating -- unless you count pictures of my dogs incriminating.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Things have gotten a bit out of hand, I'd say.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those bitches will hump anything if you don't keep them locked up

Draft saved Draft deleted