1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Employers asking applicants for Facebook, Twitter passwords

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has anyone had their employer ask for their private passwords? I'd politely withdraw my application if an employers tried to pull this garbage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/resume-references-password-job-seekers-get-asked-in-interviews-to-provide-facebook-logins/2012/03/20/gIQAVlNhOS_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I not only provide my Facebook password but also the password to my e-mail accounts as well. Then I show them my banking statements to show them I'm good with a checking account and never bounce checks. Then I give them credit statements and password information from my mom to prove that I come from a good, honest, well-balanced pedigree. If that's not enough I allow them to shove a fist up my ass to make sure I haven't smuggled any drugs or weapons into the interview.

I'd sleep in the streets before agreeing to this.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start. If a company asks for this, you should indeed withdraw. Though, sadly in these economic times, a lot of people need work badly.

That said, I run any applicant I want to consider through three things:

*Facebook. Do they have the sense to make it private? If not, are there things posted that may scare you off? In short, does the person use good sense? I don't send a friend request or even ask to see the whole page. You can tell a lot even if you aren't friends.

*Twitter. Same as above. It's amazing (well, maybe not) how reckless some people are with tweets.

*Google. Had an applicant who had some good credentials and very good clips. Plus a strong reference from someone I knew. Google turned up that the person was also a convicted felon. Uh, no.

Be careful out there.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sure you can have it. Maybe you'd like to go through my wife's underwear drawer while you're at it.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Moddy, that was the OTHER Johnny Dangerously. Damn.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If a legislator in Arizona with a straight face can introduce a bill that allows employers to rifle through your health records to make sure you're not taking whore pills, then I don't see this as a shocking development. Horrifying, yes. Shocking, no.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The government will have access to all of it starting in 2013.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw this article yesterday, but didn't have time to post it. Glad you did, Stitch.

I would never work for someone who asked me for my password.

If they sent me a friend request on Facebook, I could understand that, though I would decline it and tell them that I keep my private life separate from my business life.

But asking for your password is a major invasion of privacy. Would they ask if they could tap your phone? Or for your online banking password? This is absurd and I feel terrible that some people are in such a position that they need a job badly enough to agree.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

"Checking out" an applicant isn't an exact science. However, looking at FB may not give you an accurate snap shot of the person. You can look at the post of their friends and come up with the wrong conclusion.
    Tweets can show if the person is reckless and using google or dogpile can come up with some very interesting information.
    I'm pretty sure if someone wanted my FB or Tweet passwords, I'd have to ask them why and what they were looking for. I wouldn't give up the password because that's mine, but I would "friend" them.
    I have to agree with moddy's last four words.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anchovy: send your resume

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've told this story on here before. My friend owns a medium-sized web development company. She interviewed a candidate for a job and was impressed enough to want to bring the guy in for a second interview. The candidate had started following her on Twitter around the time of the first interview, so she followed him back. The day she was planning to call him to schedule the second interview, he Tweeted "At work. Still drunk." Guess who didn't get the second interview?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

Draft saved Draft deleted