1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Employee-owned newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I know very little about newspaper ownership, besides the terrible things I've heard about Zell and Singleton on these threads.

Anyway, I applied for a job with an employee-owned newspaper, and repeated google searches haven't provided much insight as to how these rags operate.

So does anyone here work for an employee-owned newspaper, and if so how is it compared to the privately held companies?

Thanks in advance.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, put it this way... Omaha is employee-owned and you don't hear that paper brought up in conversations like "cut, cut, cut" a lot.

I don't work for OWH, but I've heard good things about the paper itself.

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I was on vacation one time and I bumped into a woman who worked for the Monroe Evening News (Michigan). She said her paper was employee-owned and all she had to say about it was positive.
    I've often thought that this might be the solution to a lot of newspaper's problems. At least small daily newspapers, (say under 80K).

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I grew up in Monroe Evening News territory. One of my EMU professors had a husband who worked there and loved the employee ownership aspect.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As soon as Zell bought Tribune, a big banner was hoisted in our building:

"YOU own this place."

Today my paper has 55 fewer "owners."

Draft saved Draft deleted