1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

employee memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Job Sisyphus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yes, this policy sucks. No, this might not have been the best way for them as a company to confront this particular problem. It really stinks that many people in our profession get treated no better than the average factory worker. That said, if you want them to continue signing your paychecks, you have to follow their policies. Dem's da berries.

Now, a couple of labor-related comments, if I may. First, I'm pretty sure most states don't require cause for dismissal, contrary to what an earlier poster asserted. I know mine doesn't. They don't have to give you a reason for letting you go. Second, sending this to OSHA seems an exercise in futility, and not because Bush oversees OSHA. If this memo was directed by someone above the publisher's level, it was also likely perused by a company attorney before it was issued.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

For the better. You don't want to work there anyway.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Amazingly enough, every single person in that newsroom left, either willingly or unwillingly, within two years after that. Utterly shocking. ::) ::)

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Damn, you beat me to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted